PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Satelite M50 not shutting down

Johnnz
12-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Writing on behalf of my sister who's Toshiba Satellite M50-S00 is not shutting down. Anti virus program is Norton, in case that is relevant (heard about McAfee deleting system files on this forum recently).

Apparently it sometimes comes up with a message that programs are closing?

THanks.

FoxyMX
12-05-2006, 11:34 AM
It would help considerably if the exact error message was posted here.

The version of Windows would also be useful.

Johnnz
12-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Sorry, I will have to get that from her. The version of windows is XP Home.

MMM
12-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Writing on behalf of my sister who's Toshiba Satellite M50-S00 is not shutting down. Anti virus program is Norton, in case that is relevant (heard about McAfee deleting system files on this forum recently).
Apparently it sometimes comes up with a message that programs are closing?
THanks.

Hi Johnnz,
I've a Toshiba Satellite A10, and a few times I have been unable to turn it off. In my case it is because a program has frozen, and I've used ctrl-alt-del to close it. It asks if I want to wait while the program closes itself - which it doesn't - and the task manager box is open. Nothing to do with virus checker program. But it is probably because she has still got the battery in her laptop. Here's what I do anyway...

If your sister has got a battery in her laptop:
- the off switch won't turn off, and even if you turn it off at the power point it will still go because the battery in the laptop takes over and laptop stays on - really annoying :mad:

So, with power off at the wall, and without closing the laptop's lid which will make the laptop overheat, manoevre the laptop on it's side carefully, then undo the battery cover and remove the battery.
Computer will then turn off. I'm very tempted to leave my battery out full time but we often get power outages here and the battery comes in handy so I don't lose any data.
I then turn the laptop on and everything goes back to normal. Sometimes it will do a scan to make sure everything is ok. She may like to run a scan anyway just in case. By the way, it is an oldish visual basic program that usually causes my laptop to freeze and not turn off.
HTH Cheers.

PS. Other posters may know of other causes.

wabbit
14-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Hold the power switch for about 5 secs. This should force a shutdown.