PDA

View Full Version : remote access vpn/vnc etc

drcspy
11-05-2006, 11:22 AM
gotta request to try to setup a sysetm where four comps at different locations can access a database on a different comp........

so: office has three comps, another comp elsewhere all needing to access a database at a third location. The database can be stored on a comp dedicated to this if necessary.

While I think this could be achieved with say 'radmin' or 'vnc' I'm wondering what'll happen in teh event, (as is very likely to happen) that more than one pc tries to access the database server at the same time.

I've looked into vpn a *little* but only have a very basic understanding of it... I'm gonna set up a 'trial' system but really need someone who knows how to do this to help with advice on programs etc. MOst likely the database comp will have a dynamic ip although this could possibly be changed to static at some tiem in the future.

SolMiester
11-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Not sure if you are wanting to take control of database pc at same time or just have clients with application access to database.

If you want control or ability to input at same time, maybe RDP client with user sessions on windows 2003 maybe better suited.

drcspy
11-05-2006, 11:51 AM
nope just need

ust have clients with application access to database.

CYaBro
11-05-2006, 12:09 PM
The problem you will have with VPN only setup will be the amount of data that will get sent over the link (broadband? frame relay?) and will be very slow. A terminal server type setup would be better as the actual data is not being sent over the link, just screen, keyboard, mouse & print jobs if needed.

drcspy
11-05-2006, 12:25 PM
hm.............could you explain terminal server a bit more is that sorta like for example vnc whre you can 'take over' the pc similar to 'remote desktop' ?

CYaBro
11-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Yea it's basically the same as Remote Desktop in Windows XP but more than one user can log in at a time.
You need to run Windows Server 2000 or 2003 with Terminal Services in Application Mode to enable this.
Depending on what Operating System the clients are using, you may need to purchase Terminal Server Client Access Licenses as well as your normal client access licenses.

Grunter
14-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Why don't you have a look at Hamachi? This is a really simple free VPN to set up. You might need to install it as a service on the machine you want to access. You can get a paid for version that is easy to set up as a service - setting up manually is is a pain.

Grunter
14-05-2006, 05:34 PM
I forgot to say that I access my work PC via a VPN using RDP. This setup, according to Steve Gibson, is very secure. There seems to be no speed penalty using RDP over this VPN (might be, but I can't notice it).

drcspy
14-05-2006, 07:17 PM
yeh I can remote access using a few different apps like vnc/radmin .....however the problem is I need to be able to have more than one user access at the same time without conflicting

Sweep
14-05-2006, 07:26 PM
hm.............could you explain terminal server a bit more is that sorta like for example vnc whre you can 'take over' the pc similar to 'remote desktop' ?

A database can cover many sins. File locking comes to mind. In the event more than one person has access to the database and those people try to update the database then who gets in first? Generally file locking is so that more than one person can't update or change a record at one time.

What Database are we referring to? Access, DB, Oracle?

What operating system is being used?

Just to make things clear.

drcspy
14-05-2006, 08:14 PM
thanks for your reply...........access...........XP......

is it impractical for more than one person to modify the database at one time ?.....if so then I can do what I need to with vnc which will 'lock out' other users until a session is finished......however the preferred option is for the four users to all be able to access/modify the database at will without clashes ......if that's possible ?

drcspy
15-05-2006, 07:34 AM
bumple