PDA

View Full Version : Home Wireless Network - I'm stuck!

bba12
11-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi All

Help please. I have a desktop with XP, a notebook with XP and WiFi, a D-Link ADSL modem and a separate D-Link wireless router. My desktop is connected to the router via Cat5 cable and the router is similarly connected to the adsl modem. I connect to the internet fine through both the desktop and the notebook (wirelessly) with encryption. However I cannot get the desktop and the notebook to see each other. I have run the XP wireless network setup wizard, the XP home network wizard and tried entering settings manually. I have made sure the router and both computers have the same encryption keys. I have turned off the windows firewall but have another software firewall running. I have made sure that the folders on each computer are shared. The closest I have got to the two computers connecting is an error message saying \\Desktop or \\Notebook is unaccessible. You do not have permission to use this network resource. . . The network path was not found.

I'm hoping I've done something stupid and this will be a no brainer to solve. Please someone put me out of my misery!

Cheers
BBA

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Manually enter the ip addresses in.

Under My network places / view network connections.

DON'T use the XP Network Wizard. Its useless.

And just make sure the workgroup name on all, are the same.

Altho, if both get on the net, it sounds like the Notebook's workgroup name isnt the same as the desktop.

What firewalls are installed? Besides XP's?

bba12
11-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks Speedy

I've looked at My network places / view network connections but don't see where to manually enter IP addresses. Previously I clicked "acquire network addresses automatically" or something like that??

Workgroup names on all seem to be the same.

Using Zonealarm firewall.

Thanks

BBA

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Go to view network connections.

The WLAN icon / properties / internet protocol / TCP/IP.

This is where you can enter the ip in manually.

I would say the prob is here.

Once the ip has been entered in manually, Zonealarm may detect it, and prompt you to add it to its firewall entry.

What version of ZA have you got? The free version or the Security suite version, which supports wireless networks?

bba12
11-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks Speedy

I have DHCP enabled. I looked at the LAN settings on the router and tried to enter them (IP and subnet mask) manually on both computers. In both cases a message came up saying that that ip address was already in use, please try another. Is there another ip address I should be using? Should DHCP be switched off? Also I have ZA free - is this the problem?

Thanks

BBA

bba12
11-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Further to last post

With DHCP enabled I have the same subnet mask on each computer and the IP addresses vary in their last 3 digits only.

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Hmm, open ZA and click on the firewall tab / zones on the right.

Is the network address in here? (it might be something like 192.168.0.0 / 255.255.255.0)?

What ip address did u put in on the notebook?

Try putting in 192.168.0.3 or something in for ip address, 255.255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask, the ip for the router in default gateway?

I know nothing bout routers. I dont use one here, since I'm not on broadband.

Whats the ip for the router, to log into it??

What ip address was on the notebook before?? Something must have been right here, since it can get on the net.

Also open my computer, tools / folder options / view. See if its on use simple file sharing (the bottom option). I think this is on by default.

bba12
11-05-2006, 01:21 PM
YOU BEAUTY!!!!

ALL WORKING!!!

It was a firewall issue. I went to the firewall zones on both computers as you suggested and made the network connections a trusted zone, both were listed as internet zones. I then had to click "show icons for networked UPnP devices" and ALL was revealed!

Many thanks.

I owe you a beer, if not a Paypal donation!

Many thanks

BBA

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2006, 01:25 PM
No worries :)

Good to hear its up and running now! :thumbs:

Yup ZA does put networks in the Internet Zone sometimes!

It did it here to the other PC. BUT once its changed it usually works.

You'll see if u click on the firewall option in ZA, and go to the main tab on the right. If its on Internet Zone security. Because its on High.

File sharing isnt allowed.