PDA

View Full Version : system drivers

JJJJJ
08-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can find my motherboard drivers displayed?
There is no mention of motherboard in Device manager.
I just want to see what M/B driver is installed.

Secondly , I notice that most of the drivers listed in Device Manager are Microsoft drivers dated 2001. Is this correct?

Computer is Athlon 64 x 2 2200.
M/B is ASUS A8N-SLI
Win XP sp2

It's only three days old and seems to be very touchy. eg.sometimes pressing accidently right mouse button when I'm useing left button the, system just freezes

Another thing. After I installed my scanner it left a desktop icon called "Share to web.Upload folder". I can not get rid of this icon. It will not be dragged into recycle bin. Right clicking on it causes the comp. to freeze. I don't want to share to web, and the icon annoys me.

While I'm asking, another question. Today I downloaded two files. One a self-installing exe (460 mb) and the other a zipped file.
The exe file refused to install because the size did not match????
The zip file would not install because it had "corrupt files in it"

I have downloaded and installed both these files before on my old computer without any bother.
Question: Can anything on my computer or O/S cause the files not to load?

That's enough for now.

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2006, 10:36 PM
It doesnt show the brand of the mobo in device manager.

Only the speed, and USB / DVD etc.

The hardware, if the drivers have been installed.

If the mobo drivers have been installed, it wont tell you what brand/model the mobo is either. They're most probably hidden, and dont show in device manager.

The drivers that you've installed are most probably signed MS drivers. Which is why most of them say MS.

And if it aint broke, its working, dont try and fix it!

If you installed all drivers from the mobo CD, they'll be installed.

Does this mobo have that NV Firewall on it, and is it enabled?

If so, this can cause corrupted files.

gcarmich
08-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Its normal for most of the drivers in the "System Devices" to be Microsoft ones dated 2001. However its not normal for the machine to hang when you press two mouse buttons together nor is it normal for a machine to download corrupt files from the internet. (Dialup or otherwise) And as for the right clicking. well.

If its only 3 days old I'd be talking to the supplier about getting it fixed, it shouldn't be touchy.

Did it do these things before you connected it to the internet ?

Metla
08-05-2006, 10:51 PM
start>run>msconfig>startup-Disable EVERYTHING listed, everything,all of it,every single item.

Then click services tab, select hide all MS services, untick everything that is left.

Reboot.

Tell the popup box to go away and not to remind you again, Then see how your system behaves, is it still unstable?

No?, then start enabling items again, one at a time, When it turns to custard, you have your culpret.

For mobo drivers, Multiple items should show up as NFORCE, which is the chipset used on your board,Select the IDE/ATA entry,expand it, anything listed as NFORCE?, right click one of em, Select properties, Driver Provider should be isted as NVIDIA CORPERATION.

Metla
08-05-2006, 10:55 PM
There should also be a bunch of Nvidia/nforce entries under system devices....

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2006, 05:57 AM
Also, it depends on whether you installed the drivers etc off the mobo cd.

Since usually these arent always the latest versions.

The ASUS site (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us) may have later versions of the drivers etc.

Which may show a different year, once the drivers (if they're later than the ones installed) have been installed.

This MS Site (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314472) shows you what u need to do, to create a oeminfo.ini file.

Where, u can type in the mobo brand etc.

And it'll appear under the General Tab (when u press the windows/pause key).

JJJJJ
09-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Well after following everyones advice I seem to have solved the bulk of my problems.
I uninstalled my scanner and all seems well.

I'll try re-installing it next time I want to use it and if it's still playing up.I'll buy a new one :angry