PDA

View Full Version : DVD movie playing software

Greg
08-05-2006, 02:52 PM
I tried to play a DVD movie using WMP 10 but got an error saying that I needed to reduce the number of colours and reduce my screen resolution. Doesn't seem acceptable, so can anyone recommend a free alternative?

I have a serial number and key for an older version of PowerDVD, but no longer have the media, and I sure don't want to pay for it again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

drcspy
08-05-2006, 02:54 PM
what are your colours set to and what's the res and what type of monitor and what type of vid card ?

plod
08-05-2006, 03:10 PM
VLC

Agent_24
08-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Download the demo-version of the powerdvd that you have the key for and register with that.

WMP is stupid, doesn't have built in dvd codecs, you have to have a 3rd party codec pack or a 3rd party program (eg powerdvd) installed to make it work.

Or you could download a free dvd codec pack.

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Thats if the key for whatever version Greg has works. With the latest version.

It may not work.

Greg
08-05-2006, 05:04 PM
It may not work.That was my thoughts. Spose I'll just download and give it a go anyway.

Monitor is is 19" ViewSonic G90f+, at 1152 x 864, 16 bit colour, video is GeForce FX5200.

Ta folks.

Wheels
08-05-2006, 05:48 PM
According to the Viewsonic specs, you're running a non-standard screen resolution for that monitor with the colours also set too low. Try running it at either 1024x768 or preferably 1280x1024, with the colours set to either 24 bit or 32 bit.

Laura
08-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but it's all I can think of to get an answer.
I'm in an Auckland internet cafe (first one ever) as a visitor & I can't find the Post New Thread.
The page has errors, so it may be the cafe's fault or mine - but all machines are occupied & English is a foreign language in this room at present.
I've been away from the forum for 3 weeks.
Will someone please remind me where on the page to look.

Agent_24
08-05-2006, 06:00 PM

It may not work.

That's why I said get the demo-version for the key you have.

Download the demo-version of the powerdvd that you have the key for

oldversion.com etc or an archived version of powerdvd's site at web.archive.org might work

Agent_24
08-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Hi
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but it's all I can think of to get an answer.
I'm in an Auckland internet cafe (first one ever) as a visitor & I can't find the Post New Thread.
The page has errors, so it may be the cafe's fault or mine - but all machines are occupied & English is a foreign language in this room at present.
I've been away from the forum for 3 weeks.
Will someone please remind me where on the page to look.

Go into the forum you wish to post in and up the top is a big "new thread" button which links to:

http://www.pressf1.co.nz/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=4

Laura
08-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the link, Agent 24.
This machine has Post Reply in that position - as well as below the thread, which is normal.
No idea why, but at least it's not me going bonkers.

roddy_boy
08-05-2006, 06:19 PM
No, you have to be in the forum, not in a thread for the correct button to be there.

Speedy Gonzales
08-05-2006, 06:20 PM
That's why I said get the demo-version for the key you have.

Just coz its a demo, it doesnt mean the key Greg has will work either.

Laura
08-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes, I was logged in to the forum ( and acknowledged ) and able to access my User details.
So I guess it must be something blocked by the Internet Cafe.
May ask them another day. By now, I've been here too long...

Agent_24
08-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Just coz its a demo, it doesnt mean the key Greg has will work either.

then make sure its a demo-upgradeable-version that can accept a key :)

anyway, its worth a try...

alternatively cyberlink might give you a new disc if you tell them the original one was lost

tweak'e
08-05-2006, 08:12 PM
got an error saying that I needed to reduce the number of colours and reduce my screen resolution..

sorry for the late reply but it sounds like you may have not enough video ram. i've seen simlar problems with onboard graphics when someone has set the video ram way to small (i have no idea WHY someone would do that but i've seen it quite a few times).

Greg
09-05-2006, 12:48 AM
sorry for the late reply but it sounds like you may have not enough video ram. i've seen simlar problems with onboard graphics when someone has set the video ram way to small (i have no idea WHY someone would do that but i've seen it quite a few times).Didn't know it was possible to adjust video ram. The card has 128 megs.

Agent_24
09-05-2006, 01:04 AM
Only if the video is integrated into the motherboard chipset - In which case it shares some of the system ram, and this can be changed in the bios chipset settings.

If the card is a seperate AGP you could try changing the AGP aperture size, that can also increase performance.

Greg
10-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Problem solved. I found my PowerDVD disk! (tidying up the garage in the new house is revealing all sorts of lost treasures!)

Thanks for all the help.

supergran
10-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Lucky'smum got exactly the same error Greg, on her laptop, and we fixed it exactly the same way. With Power DVD :thumbs: Glad you got it sorted.