PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining linux

Nomad
07-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi,

I only have dialup so downloadingis not an option. Does anyone know how I can get the CDs at the store and if so which one will have them? Or do magazines have them?

I am wanting a linux that works on SATA hard drives. I took a book (came with CDs) out from the library but it doesn't support SATA.

Prob looking at a easy version of it like Fedora.

Thanks.

jermsie
07-05-2006, 09:10 PM
I saw a rack of Linux Distros for like, $10 each... this was at Dick Smith. Maybe you could take a look

superuser
07-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Try Trademe or google linux distros, no shortage of people selling them very cheaply!

Fedora isn't the best Distro in my opinion. Try Ubantu, Centos, Debian etc..

Chilling_Silence
07-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Ubuntu perhaps, havent tried it recently.
Debian I would say not, the installation isnt the most straight-forward.

In terms of getting up and going, Xandros is debian-based, and the Open-Circulation edition is free :)

I would agree, go for a walk to DSE, buy one or two... Knoppix would even be a good start (Live bootable CD). Linux sATA support is pretty darn good AFAIK too! Just about to throw in my new 200gb sata drive in a day or two when I take the PC down for a bit.

Hhel
07-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Chilling mentioned Xandros

In terms of getting up and going, Xandros is debian-based, and the Open-Circulation edition is free

As much as I like Xandros and it is my only OS these days, from my reading of the pages at http://forums.xandros.com

Xandros sometimes has trouble with SATA drives. I think there are some ways around it but it seems that it is not straightforward.

Jim :)

jermsie
07-05-2006, 09:37 PM
www.ubuntu.com Site says they will ship the cd's free of charge, so all up $0, if they do in fact ship to NZ. Have a look anyway

Chilling_Silence
07-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah they ship to NZ, have received a few in the past back when they first started doing that :-)

Myth
07-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Try on Trademe for SimplyMepis, Ubuntu, maybe Knoppix and Fedora Core5

If you get stuck PM me (as last resort)

Murray P
08-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Where are you based Nomad, close to Welly?

Nomad
08-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Yeah I am based in Welly.

I have been to DSE but they only have the core and said I have to download hte bits and pieces (?). Other than that, they have Fedora 3 which does not support SATA.

I will have a further look and around as well.

Thanks.

Jen
08-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Cosidering Fedora is up to Core 5 now, it sounds like your local DSE is carrying rather old stock. Fedora is normally a 4-CD set, so you are not required to download anything extra except if you wish to have mp3 support as Fedora does not provide this natively.

Seeing as you are in Welly, I suspect Murray is about to pounce with a Mepis CD ... ;)

Chilling_Silence
09-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Old habits die hard huh? ;)

Murray P
09-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Cosidering Fedora is up to Core 5 now, it sounds like your local DSE is carrying rather old stock. Fedora is normally a 4-CD set, so you are not required to download anything extra except if you wish to have mp3 support as Fedora does not provide this natively.

Seeing as you are in Welly, I suspect Murray is about to pounce with a Mepis CD ... ;)

Who me??? You do me a grave disservice sir :annoyed:

Pssst!! Wanna have the latest Mepis Nomad? Sure you do pal, just PM me ;) ;) ;)

What other distros have you narrowed down to? I'm not averse to DL'ing something for a whirl myself.

jcr1
09-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Should Debian Sarge be dismissed out of hand as being too difficult :confused: ? I installed it not so long ago and found it quite easy; not like previous versions and I'm an absolute klutz when it comes to these sort of things.
I quite like the Debian philosophy too and when I get totally fed up with windows, who knows......., or maybe Gentoo :D

jcr1
09-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Sorry, Gentoo couldn't be considered as an option here :horrified as it is rather difficult for beginners (witness all the posts I've made in the past).

Myth
09-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Who me??? You do me a grave disservice sir :annoyed:Pssst!! Wanna have the latest Mepis Nomad? Sure you do pal, just PM me ;) ;) ;)

What other distros have you narrowed down to? I'm not averse to DL'ing something for a whirl myself.Do you have the latest based on Ubuntu version of SimplyMepis??
I do :p

As for Debian Sarge, I threw it on a drive not long ago to have a play round, it was okay but I found it outdated. IN the end I opted for testing repositories. For a beginner, I would suggest Debian (even Sarge) is just a little advanced. Even Arch (which I found quite good) is a bit advanced.

Nomad: I would highly recommend SimplyMepis and Ubuntu

Graham L
09-05-2006, 02:25 PM
As always, use Google. Ask it "SATA problems linux" (or use a particular distribution name instead of "linux"). People talk about problems. ;)

Murray P
09-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Do you have the latest based on Ubuntu version of SimplyMepis??
I do :p

As for Debian Sarge, I threw it on a drive not long ago to have a play round, it was okay but I found it outdated. IN the end I opted for testing repositories. For a beginner, I would suggest Debian (even Sarge) is just a little advanced. Even Arch (which I found quite good) is a bit advanced.

Nomad: I would highly recommend SimplyMepis and Ubuntu

No I don't. It's still in Beta 2 stage with perhaps 1 more release to go before the final version. I decided to hold off needlessly upgrading Mepis in the interests of stability.

Mind you, the meshing of the Ubuntu (Debian) kernel with Mepis is a great Idea IMO. It allows the folk at Mepis, to leech of the Ubuntu resources (to an extent), improving, what in my opinion is (in Mepis), a superior distro even further.

Hmm, nothing wrong with putting it on the financila comptrollers machine though, she's already running Mepis, would she notice much/any diff. or will I get a thick ear? Besides, what could possibly go wrong, it's not as if that data is very important, either :rolleyes:

Chilling_Silence
09-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Gentoo is looking at having some help from Googles Summer of Code which should assist with a few things like installation (hopefully)

Mackin_NZ
10-05-2006, 12:20 AM
I'm using Mandriva 2006.0 on SATA drives and have never had a problem. You can buy it here (http://www.lsl.com.au/). If you're on dial-up it would pay you to get the errata disc as well.

It's a nice easy to use distro too.

Chilling_Silence
10-05-2006, 02:13 AM
Ive actually heard a lot of good things about the last two releases of Mandriva.

That MandrivaGo or whatever LiveCD looks pretty swish too, kinda keen to give it a whirl myself!