PDA

View Full Version : Monitor refresh rate too high...how to reset?

CCF
07-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Hi there

Hope some one can help me out here. :)

The comp specs are: 15" LCD monitor, WinXP Pro (SP1 installed), GeForce4MX, driver used Nvdia forceware 81.98 and default drivers that came with the graphics card.

Currently I have a computer that when it boots up after a while, the monitor would just go to sleep. I managed to figure what was wrong, though how to fix it was the problem.

The problem is that my window is using a refresh rate that is too high for my monitor. Below are what I've done so far:

1) Uninstall gfx card driver (in safe mode) and reinstall same driver (in normal window environment)- Failed :groan:
This did not work as during the driver installation when (i think) it was testing for what refresh rate that the card can support (when the screen goes on and off) the monitor would just goto sleep and never turn back on again.

2) Uninstall gfx card driver (in safe mode) and resinstall same driver (in safe mode) - Failed :groan:
Although the installtion was a success in safe mode, however when it boots up and about to load the window desktop (right after the window loading screen) and all, the monitor would just goto sleep again.

3) I've tried both the default driver that came with the gfx card and a new version of nVidia driver as mention above in the comp specs. Though both results in the monitor going back to sleep. :groan:

How I found out it was the refresh rate was that I used another 15" LCD to test it, on this LCD it gave a message saying "85Hz out of range".

As I understand that in safe mode you cannot change the refresh rate nor can you change it in the normal window environment when no gfx card driver is installed, so what can I do :confused: .

Why the refresh rate is higher than what the monitor can support is beyond my knowledge, as this would be one of those days where your computer worked perfectly the night before and would not boot up/work the next day. However this problem had occured before, though at first I thought it would my capacitors or some sort of overheating on the motherboard that is causing it. As if this prorblem occured and I leave the computer off for a while, say a few hrs or sometimes a few days, then the monitor would just go back on again then works for the next month or so with no problem. However this is no longer the case, as it's been almost 3 weeks and the monitor would still not boot up passing the window loading screen.

Hope some one can help ^^

Thanks

Vallis
07-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Right click on desktop. Click Properties.
Select Settings tab.
Click Advanced button.
Select monitor tab.
Select correct refresh rate.

CCF
07-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the fast reply, though that solution would not be possible, as I cannot change the refresh rate in safe mode. And if the drivers were installed, I cannot access the window desktop at all. And if the driver werent installed, under that change refresh rate setting, I cannot change anything at all.

:(

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Does the monitor itself have a reset button or something on it??

If the monitor doesnt turn on.

CCF
07-05-2006, 07:52 PM
A reset button as in one of those tiny little holes when you would use a paper clip to press something in? I dont have the LCD manual anymore, though I looked around the LCD and saw a tiny little hole right beside the power connector hole. Would that be it?

Other than that, theres just the Auto button, increase constrast, increase brightness, menu and power button.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2006, 08:03 PM
You could try that little hole. I dont know. I dont have an LCD monitor.

Whats the brand/model of the LCD?

Vallis
07-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Sorry, didn't realise that you couldn't access normal mode.
How about borrowing a CRT monitor? :0)

CCF
07-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Yeah borrowing an CRT monitor that actually can support the refresh rate would be my last resort as the only people that I know that have CRT that supports such refresh rate are people that uses they computer almost 24/7 :( so borrowing one would be a hassle. I have tried an 17" CRT monitor, though that too does not support that refresh rate.

And yeah, I tried poking that little hole...seems like just an empty hole, didnt do anything though.

The model of the LCD is Auriga L15AX

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Where did u buy this monitor?

That monitor model doesnt even exist on the net!

Is it just an LCD monitor, or an LCD TV monitor?

Can you get into the menu. If a menu appears on the screen?

drcspy
07-05-2006, 08:48 PM
easy to change the refresh rate...........install the drivers then when it waNTs to reboot at the start of th eboot process tap F8 key repeatedly till you get the menu screen..........choose vga this'll put you into the basic mode, (NOT safe mode) then in windoze you can set it at whatever you want

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2006, 08:52 PM
easy to change the refresh rate...........install the drivers then when it waNTs to reboot at the start of th eboot process tap F8 key repeatedly till you get the menu screen..........choose vga this'll put you into the basic mode, (NOT safe mode) then in windoze you can set it at whatever you want

I dont think the monitor turns on, so no can do. Thats what the prob is. (I think)?

CCF
07-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Hmm, the that model number I gave you was the model number that was at the back of the LCD. Although you can search for Auriga 15ML. As "15ML" was printed at the front of the LCD. Would of thought the model number at the back would be more better.

And yeah, its just an LCD monitor, I brought this LCD quite a while ago (had it for almost 2 years I think), dont think the warranty covers it (I'll double check on that though), brought down at Carlins PCs in town (up in Auckland).

As for the menu screen, once its past the Window loading screen it wont show, nothing shows up once its past the loading screen. Just goes to sleep :confused:

Thanks

Vallis
07-05-2006, 09:16 PM
This might help:
http://www.earthv.com/tips_detail.asp?TipID=62

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Hmmm, the other pc here has that same prob sometimes.

When USB devices are plugged into the USB ports. While the system is booting.

It loads up to the XP logo too, and the screen dies. Unplug the USB devices, its fine :confused:

Have you got any USB devices plugged into the case ports??

Chilling_Silence
07-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Just boot in to safe mode and bring up the Hardware Device Manager

Remove both the monitor and then the display adapter.

Reboot and it'll set you back at 800x600 with 60hz refresh :)

CCF
07-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Sorry for not replying sooner.

Chilling_Silence do you mean that by with the gfx card drivers installed already? Or gfx card drivers already uninstalled? Cause if its with the gfx card driver is installed, wont that remove the drivers? Or does that remove something else?

And as for the USB, nothing is plugged in except for the usual, 2X PS2 for mouse and keyboard, monitor cable, power etc.

Thanks

CCF
07-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Sorry just to clarify, when you said 'remove' did you mean uninstall or disable? Cause when I right clicked on the Display adapter, I could choose from Uninstall, Disable and Update or Scan for hardware changes.

Thanks

georgeks
07-05-2006, 11:08 PM
I was Quality Inspector for TATUNG NL, and among other things we checked out LCD TVs/Monitors and Plasma TV/Monitors. Those things (LCD) operate at 60 Hz by default. Occasionaly one could be pushed to 70 HZ, but that was tricky. It's been 2 years since I worked there, but maybe this can help

CCF
07-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Tried what Chilling_Silence suggested, I went into the Device Manager, right clicked on Display adapter and selected Uninstall. From the process it looks like that the nVidia drivers were what it uninstalled, so I reboot and went into the normal window environment and reinstalled the default drivers. (Due to the driver were uninstalled, the refresh rate selection were locked) Before the monitor alway went to sleep half way the installation testing, though now it manages to finish it....though..now after the reboot, the monitor stays blank after the window loading screen. Not to sleep, but blank... , cause you could tell that the LCD back light was on, not off. Hmm...so what now?

Btw, I should of mention this before, I have even formatted the comp thinking it was some sort of prog that is causing it, so basically the window at the moment is a fresh install of win xp pro.

As to georgeks, you said "Occasionaly one could be pushed to 70 HZ, but that was tricky" that sounds scary... cause all my monitors are set to run at 75Hz...I hope I aint doing damage to my monitors. Why I choose 75Hz was that it was the highest Hz I could set it to or atleast the highest that my monitor would allow me to set it to. Would I be damaging my monitor if my monitor allows me to have it on 75Hz?

Thanks

Chilling_Silence
08-05-2006, 01:55 AM
If you select "Uninstall" it wont remove the driver, rather jump back to default windows drivers when it next adds the hardware. Correct though, that was what I wanted you to do.

You should be able to then go and update the driver for the LCD and tell it that its some generic 1024x768 LCD Flat-panel. That should give you some basic refresh rate options while still using the default adapter drivers

KiwiTT_NZ
08-05-2006, 04:34 PM
I had this problem in WinNT and had to reset in the registry.

Agent_24
08-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Tried what Chilling_Silence suggested, I went into the Device Manager, right clicked on Display adapter and selected Uninstall. From the process it looks like that the nVidia drivers were what it uninstalled, so I reboot and went into the normal window environment and reinstalled the default drivers. (Due to the driver were uninstalled, the refresh rate selection were locked) Before the monitor alway went to sleep half way the installation testing, though now it manages to finish it....though..now after the reboot, the monitor stays blank after the window loading screen. Not to sleep, but blank... , cause you could tell that the LCD back light was on, not off. Hmm...so what now?

Btw, I should of mention this before, I have even formatted the comp thinking it was some sort of prog that is causing it, so basically the window at the moment is a fresh install of win xp pro.

As to georgeks, you said "Occasionaly one could be pushed to 70 HZ, but that was tricky" that sounds scary... cause all my monitors are set to run at 75Hz...I hope I aint doing damage to my monitors. Why I choose 75Hz was that it was the highest Hz I could set it to or atleast the highest that my monitor would allow me to set it to. Would I be damaging my monitor if my monitor allows me to have it on 75Hz?

Thanks

High refresh rates really only do anything on CRT's (stop that annoying flicker)

A refresh rate of 60hz on an LCD won't give you a flicker, so there is no point in running it any higher (even though some support higher)

My friend was running his LCD at 70hz and occasionally the picture would get wobbly, like heat shimmers from a toaster (kinda hard to explain)

running it at 60hz fixed the problem.

FrankS
08-05-2006, 04:49 PM
For info the current GeForce4MX Nvidea forceware driver is v84.21
The Nvidea notes advise
"Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers
Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.
Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDEA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start menu> Windows Control panel > and search for "NVIDEA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDEA Display Drivers" and select remove.
Recently installed above driver on a CRT and it dropped the monitor settings to the lowest screen resolution and refresh rate that the monitor would accept. It looked terrible but right cl on Desktop and reset Nvidea resolution and refresh to my requirements. You can save old settings but I prefer to start with a clean slate.

CCF
08-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Hi there

Thanks for the advices and will try them asap, currently have my hands full at the moment. I'll post back asap with the results. Though any more suggestions will be very grateful.

Thanks again

Agent_24
08-05-2006, 08:05 PM
You could download powerstrip from www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm, install under safe or VGA mode and setup a hotkey combo to automatically restore 60hz operation once booted into normal windows.

georgeks
09-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Start windows, press F8 and take the option VGA only. This will allow you to log in with acceptable resolution. From then on, change the refresh rate as you like

CCF
09-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Hi there

Thanks a lot for the many advices, though sadly, none have worked so far.

So far I've tried:

1) Booting up in VGA mode - I managed to get a CHANCE to change the refresh rate and the resolution this mode, however when I click OK or APPLY my screen will show an entire screen of weird pictures (same type of picture), not really like a picture, more like some sort of symbol. I'm sure you guys have heard of SPACE INVADERS, yeah those 'pictures' looks a lot like those alien space ships ^^ . I couldnt do anything once it was like that, so I restarted and back to square one. :(

2) Downloaded that program Agent_24 suggested. Wasnt too sure how or where I could set up a hot key, though I did find a hot key (CTRL+ALT+S) that was said to reset settings back to safety settings. However this hot key didnt seem to function after the window loading screen. :(

3) What Chilling_Silence sggusted, I uninstalled the driver though when I got back in normal window mode and updated the driver, it does the same thing, except it doesnt go to sleep but a blank screen on my LCD. I know, i know, Chilling_Silence said update the LCD and that is what I'm about to ask...

where do I go and update the driver for the LCD?

And for the advice on turning off the AV and DA, that is good advice though currently this is a fresh install of WinXP Pro, nothing is on except for the motherboard drivers...and hopefully the graphics drivers.

What I'm wondering now, would there be a chance that my LCD is broken? Or would it be my graphics card that is causing all this? I mean i have reformated and reinstalled window quite a few times on this computer, and all those time everything was perfect...just this time.

Thanks

Agent_24
09-05-2006, 06:45 PM
See if you can create a new display mode setting (res and refreshrate) in powerstrip, and associate a hotkey to switch to that mode.

Ctrl+Alt+S I think is for resetting core/memory speeds to safe defaults if you have been overclocking with powerstrip and are getting problems.