PDA

View Full Version : Data rate for video over the Internet?

rumpty
07-05-2006, 12:27 PM
With the excitement of LLU, and the goodies it may bring, I've started thinking again about video over the Internet. ISP Paradise may come up with an attractive deal for broadband in the forseeable future. I'm in Auckland.

My daughter and her family live overeas, and it would be fun to be able to have some sort of "videoconference" with them, assuming they have broadband access too, of course. What sort of data rate would be necessary to exchange reasonable video? I will forgo HD Widescreen and Dolby 5.1 ;), but would say 640 x 480 at a reasonable quality be feasible?

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
lol. Videoconferencing is good enough on a 56k connection.

Using Yahoo, and MSN Messenger.

Well, its good enough for me here. Picture is clear as. On 56k

I spose it depends on the webcam / cam you get as well. On how good the quality will be.

jareemon
07-05-2006, 01:15 PM
hey bro, i would imagine a speed upwards of the 7.5(?)mbps speeds coming soon would be good enough for a nice, smooth audio and video 2 way stream, however due to contention ratio, maybe not nearly as good as what will be offered next year, when if both parties have adsl2+, you probably will able to talk to your family in realtime HD widescreen with 5.1 sound... thats my guess.
J

rumpty
07-05-2006, 01:16 PM
lol. Videoconferencing is good enough on a 56k connection.

Using Yahoo, and MSN Messenger.

Well, its good enough for me here. Picture is clear as. On 56k

I spose it depends on the webcam / cam you get as well. On how good the quality will be.

That's interesting. I've assumed 56k would be pretty hopeless, given the quality and jerkiness I see when I try to look at a video clip off, say, Scoop.

Speedy Gonzales
07-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Well, it'll be jerky, on 56k, if u play a video of course, from a site.

As it has to cache it.

If you download it then watch it, it'll be faster. This is normal, on 56k.

I think there's a difference between watching a video on a site, and video conferencing.

Video conferencing on 56k maybe slow, but it moves, and the video is clear enough.

rumpty
07-05-2006, 02:16 PM
hey bro, i would imagine a speed upwards of the 7.5(?)mbps speeds coming soon would be good enough for a nice, smooth audio and video 2 way stream..
J

I'll bet it would! But looking around, what would this 384kb/sec figure I see, as some sort of standard, be like? It would certainly be much more affordable.