PDA

View Full Version : Microphone Issues

Hollow
06-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Hey there.

For the past few weeks now I have noticed something quite odd with my microphone.

My microphone works absolutly fine on the program Ventrilo. There are no delays, scratches or sound problems. Which is sweet for talking to people. But then when I play the game Counter-Strike Source and I try to talk to people in there. The sound of my voice coming out the speakers after talking into the microphone is very scratchy, fast and can not be understood at all. It is also very quiet.

This also happens in Windows Sound Recorder. Although, it is not scratchy. You can hear what I say but it is very fast and not that loud.

And another issue. It does exactly the same thing to MSN Messenger when you record voice clips. You can hear my voice, but its very quiet and very fast.

Now, to be completly honest. This is not a huge matter. I do not rarely use my microphone in Counter-Strike Source although sometimes there are the odd times I need to talk to my mates. But my main concern is that I went to my mates place, installed Windows XP Pro on his computer, updated all his drivers for his hardware, installed Counter-Strike Source, Ventrilo and all that stuff. And now, he has EXACTLY the same problem as me. Every problem I have with my microphone, he has... Which is very frustrating.

I am in a Counter-Strike Source clan with him and we need the microphones to work with the game. It works with Ventrilo, which is awsome. But it is a high priority I get it working on both of our computers for the game aswell...

Before anyone asks me if the settings on my system are correct. I can pretty much let you know 90 percent that they are. This is because I have not altered them at all. However, maybe something has automatically changed the settings. like the game, or something. I'm ofcourse, not too sure because if I was I would be able to fix this problem.

Well if you have had this issue and you know how to resolve it please let me know. Otherwise much help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Hollow

jargonize
06-05-2006, 01:19 PM
kinda sounds like a conflict with the game, and depends on ram and the processer speed. have you tryed another mic? or head set.

Jester
07-05-2006, 12:20 AM
When I used to play Counterstrike some years ago all the voices were scratchy, high pitched and fast, I just put it down to the age of the others playing.... maybe their mics were messed up too? :rolleyes:

Hollow
07-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Hi there. Thanks for your replies.

Answering one question. Yes I have used another microphone. To be honest my microphone I had a couple of weeks ago was actually broken. And I thought that was the issue aswell. But now I have a new microphone and it still does the same thing.

Its quite hard to explain. When you are testing it you can tell its not the microphone because it works 100% perfectly on Ventrilo. Cause you can run tests in ventrilo and when you here yourself after talking its perfect. Just like talking in real life.

But when you record yourself in Windows Sound Recorder the sound played back is speed up. Not REALLY fast but its fast enough to be noticable. And if you try slow it down in sound recorder (like you can in the settings) it goes TOO slow... so its a bit mixed up if u ask me...

Also, the scratching sound does not sound like the microphone is bugged. or the wire is lose or anything like that. it sounds like it would be a sound card problem or summing like that. But I just bought a new sound card (Sound Blaster Audigy X-FI Elite Pro) and when I didnt reinstall counter-strike source installed my microphone worked fine on everything, INCLUDING source.

It does sound like it could be a game conflict to me aswell. But that doesnt really fix my issue. I know it sounds quite complex but if its happened to me, AND my friend then it must be something thats wrong in some setting or something.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and know how to fix it.

Thanks for your help so far.

Hollow

P.S my CPU is a AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 and my mates is a AMD Athlon 64 4000+ we both have 2 gigs of ram. Myne is kingston brand, his is corsair. they are also both dual channelled. Does this help?