PDA

View Full Version : Printer won't wake

bryan Whitlock
03-05-2006, 11:20 PM
I use a Brother HL-1430 printer with my Athlon 64/Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 running Windows XP Home. The printer does not work the first time I try to use it after the computer wakes from hibernation or standby. If I repeat the instruction to print, the printer operates normally and continues to do so for the duration of the session. If I shut the system down and boot from cold, the printer works normally. Any ideas? Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
04-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Try disabling hibernation.

See if it gets any better.

godfather
04-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Hibernation and Standby mode was primarily designed for laptop hardware.

Yet to see desktop hardware that is free of reliability issues after its been used (then again I have only tried about a dozen or so combinations on different systems over the years).

I am sure there will be some hardware combinations it's OK on. Just not a lot.

Then there is the issue of software, not all of that likes hibernating as well.

bryan Whitlock
06-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks, Speedy G. I had disabled hibernation. I will do the same to Standby and see. Also, I will run Hijackthis as you suggest. I don't suspect any spyware, but it is good to be sure. Bryan

bryan Whitlock
06-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks, Godfather. Are you suggesting there can be problems after trying and abandoning Hibernation and Standby? One thought just occurred to me. The printer runs on a parallel port. I could try changing it to USB. Bryan

Graham L
06-05-2006, 04:50 PM
It might be a USB "advanced feature". I think all USB devices have an option hidden away in their "Properties" which allows the OS to "turn off this device when idle" . It's intended for power saving in laptops.

The first access might restart the USB port, and the second one gets acces to the printer. ;)

Whenever I find this checkbox I turn it off. :cool:

XPerts might know where it's found for a USB printer in XP.

Nomad
06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Try to reinsert paper or press F5 under the printers dialog box to refresh it or go to menu to select it.