PDA

View Full Version : NAV 2004 & NIS 2004

aidanmaz
02-05-2006, 11:42 PM
i found Norton Antivirus and internet security that i brought but didnt install, so i did this and got rid of Avast! Professional 4.6, NAv auto protect wont come on no matter how many time i smash the enable button, and when i hover over the systray, the relevant icons dissappear! should i go back to Avast! and how do u remove NAV? ther aint no uninstall in programs or control panel

TiJay
03-05-2006, 03:33 AM
When you uninstalled Avast - did you make sure it was cleared from the registry? alot of Anti-viruses get a deathhold on your os via the registry...check that out.

Vince
03-05-2006, 05:11 AM
When you uninstalled Avast - did you make sure it was cleared from the registry? alot of Anti-viruses get a deathhold on your os via the registry...check that out.

It is a good idea to clean the registry after uninstalling software; especially if you are going to install an alternative. The FREE 'Easy Cleaner' is good. You can download it here,_
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

Installers alwalys recommend dissabeling all running programs before starting: usually not nessicary, but with the more complex programs it is sometimes needed. Even moving the mouse can spoil an instalation sometimes!

I recommend that you run a registry cleaner, then restart and install NAV again; Don't wory about uninstalling NAV first. Defective files will be overwritten.

tweak'e
03-05-2006, 10:24 AM
i would dith nortons and go back to avast. i'm not sure how much longer your ver of nortons is suported and concidering the great amount of trouble people constantly have with nortons it seems to be more trouble than its worth.

Murray P
03-05-2006, 10:41 AM
I agree with tweak'e, Nortons, IMO and many others, is a pile of dung.

If you want a very good paid AV client, go with NOD32.

You'll need to be very thorough getting rid of Nortons though, it hangs on for grim death. Apparently there is a Norton's (un)installation cleaner available from Symantic, but I have no idea how thorough it is.

roddy_boy
03-05-2006, 10:48 AM
You'll need to be very thorough getting rid of Nortons though, it hangs on for grim death. Apparently there is a Norton's (un)installation cleaner available from Symantic, but I have no idea how thorough it is.
It worked perfectly fine for me.

I too recommend NOD 32.. Nortons came installed on my laptop, I kept it until the subscription ran out, then went to NOD. I shouldn't have even waited for it to run out first!

Sb0h
03-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Nortons NIS is a terrible piece of software. We have it installed on three workstations (boss thought it would be a good idea) and have the same trouble with icons disappearing, random Nortons errors popping up etc. I just leave the damn thing alone, I think it is still protecting files and we're behind a firewall anyway.

Personally I use NOD32, far lighter and faster than the bloated Nortons crap.

Murray P
03-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Nortons NIS is a terrible piece of software. We have it installed on three workstations (boss thought it would be a good idea ) and have the same trouble with icons disappearing, random Nortons errors popping up etc. I just leave the damn thing alone, I think it is still protecting files and we're behind a firewall anyway.

Personally I use NOD32, far lighter and faster than the bloated Nortons crap.

Oxymoron alert. ;)

Sb0h
03-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Oxymoron alert. ;)

Definition: An oxymoron (plural "oxymora" or "oxymorons") (noun) is a figure of speech that combines two normally contradictory terms (e.g. "deafening silence"). Oxymoron is a Greek term derived from oxy ("sharp") and moros ("dull"). Oxymora are a proper subset of the expressions called contradiction in terms. What distinguishes oxymora from other paradoxes and contradictions is that they are used intentionally, for rhetorical effect, and the contradiction is only apparent, as the combination of terms provides a novel expression of some concept.

You must have worked here as well Murray ;)

aidanmaz
03-05-2006, 03:14 PM
the NAV installation froze when i did it so naturally i restarted the pc, it seemed to work fine, i tried reinstalling but it keeps telling me to uninstall before continuing cant do that as there is no entry in add/remove programs! NAv is slowing my super fast p4 3ghz HT down!

roddy_boy
03-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Use this (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039).

Vince
04-05-2006, 02:07 AM
the NAV installation froze when i did it so naturally i restarted the pc, it seemed to work fine, i tried reinstalling but it keeps telling me to uninstall before continuing cant do that as there is no entry in add/remove programs! NAv is slowing my super fast p4 3ghz HT down!

I got NAV as part of SystemWorks, so I used it. I have never had any trouble with it at all, so I stay with it. Your problem does not recommend any further bother, because even if you persist until you get NAV 2004 installed you will have to renew the subscription for virus signature updates. This currently costs $59.95. NAV 2006 has aditional features and only costs $65.00 including a years subscription, but if your computer doesn't like NAV, why bother.

kwaka
06-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Usually I build machines for people, occasionally I get one in from a supplier, If I get a machine in that has Norton's installed, the first thing I do is delete it, makes the machine go a lot faster and often a lot more reliable. I then install AVG Free, Windows Defender and Zone Alarm, often the client is a newbie and many a time I have had people come in with a system riddled with virus and the main cause has been the 3 month period of Nortons has expired, the user hasn't renewed it and carried on for a year or so untill it no longer boots up or something similar. I feel that the customer can operate with the free software for as long as it takes before they can make their own choices and are skilled enough to take care of their investment.

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Altho, it doesnt really matter what firewall or anti-virus protection you have.

You can still get trojans/malware anyway.

And if you use P2P programs or use bittorents, there is no point in having either of these. These things are full of trojans/malware/spyware etc.

Just look at some of the HJT logs here, which show a firewall and AV have been installed. And the person has still managed to pick up malware/viruses/trojans.

Not only do you have to have these, you also have to keep windows up to date as well. This is WHAT people dont bother to do, and when its too late, they wonder why their system is full of nasties.

Murray P
06-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Altho, it doesnt really matter what firewall or anti-virus protection you have.

Cripes Speedy, that's a pretty nonsensical statement to make. Of course it matters what people use to secure their PCs, there are some truly awful offerings out there vis firewalls and AV clients. Take a 5 year old AV for eg, how effective is it?

People should be encouraged to use the best security they can afford and that fits their ability.

Speedy Gonzales
06-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Cripes Speedy, that's a pretty nonsensical statement to make. Of course it matters what people use to secure their PCs, there are some truly awful offerings out there vis firewalls and AV clients. Take a 5 year old AV for eg, how effective is it?

People should be encouraged to use the best security they can afford and that fits their ability.

What I SHOULD have said.

Even if you use the best firewall, AV / anti spyware program out, it doesnt mean you wont get hit by something.

Esp, if you're into P2P, bittorents, pirating.

Whats the point in having the best firewall / AV, if you download a file with something like a worm / trojan etc in it thru P2P?

There goes the protection, your system will be compromised.

Well, thats if u dont know what you're doing and how to fix the prob.

And if you cant be stuffed updating Windows, well, that wont help anything either.

Murray P
06-05-2006, 07:07 PM
What I SHOULD have said.

Even if you use the best firewall, AV / anti spyware program out, it doesnt mean you wont get hit by something.

Esp, if you're into P2P, bittorents, pirating.

Whats the point in having the best firewall / AV, if you download a file with something like a worm / trojan etc in it thru P2P?

There goes the protection, your system will be compromised.

Well, thats if u dont know what you're doing and how to fix the prob.

And if you cant be stuffed updating Windows, well, that wont help anything either.

Too true, and people are all too often not made aware of this. It's still a very good point to have the best you can get, it goes to risk management.