PDA

View Full Version : ADSL line and main phone jack, quick question.

CCF
02-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Hi ya

Just want to quickly ask would it matter if the ADSL line is not connected to the main phone jack? Of course it goes through a filter first.

Hope this wasnt posted before, did do a search on previous post but couldnt find any.

Also any other quick q, is there any way to check that your phone line is activated with the adsl connection without actually ringing your isp? I have a D-Link 502T, would the ADSL light show?

Thanks

godfather
02-05-2006, 07:52 PM
As long as the adsl modem/router connects without going through a filter, it does not matter if it's a main or secondary phone jack.

The filter(s) are required for all phone devices, the ADSL signal is stopped from entering the phones by the filter. Having a filter on the adsl line to the modem will prevent the modem from working.

Your question is therefore somewhat confusing. If you have a "full install" where only one jack is provided for the adsl, you have to use that jack as all others have no signal present.

And yes the ADSL link light should show if there is ADSL enabled on the line.

CCF
02-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Sorry that I couldnt reply any earlier, my dial seems to had just disconnected and didnt want to go back on again... even till now I cant connect with it, though using adsl back up dial up at the moment.

My apologise again for the confusing question, to clear things a bit, I'm not talking about the full install but just the normal connection. What I meant in my previous question was that as you know each house has a main phone jack. Would the adsl modem/router line need to be connected through the main phone jack through a filter (of course) for the adsl connection to work? Or can the adsl line be connected through any phone jack as long as its through a filter.

Eg:

Main phone jack <-filter <-adsl line = work y/n?

or can it be like this:

Phone jack 4 <-filter <- adsl line = work y/n?

Hope this clear things up a bit.

Thanks

roddy_boy
02-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Main phone jack <-filter <-adsl line = work y/n?

or can it be like this:

Phone jack 4 <-filter <- adsl line = work y/n?

N

N

Should be:

Main phone jack <-adsl line

or it can be like this:

Phone jack 4 <- adsl line

As Godfather said, the filters are for anything EXCEPT the modem/router.

godfather
02-05-2006, 09:40 PM
In a modern house there is no longer anything such as a "main phone jack". They are all the same.

In an older master/secondary jack setup, it still does not matter.

But as now explained twice above, if you put a filter on the adsl modem, it will not work.
The filters are for phone devices NOT for the adsl modem.

CCF
02-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Now I'm confused, the filters, they have two slots (I know theres a special name for the type of slotes but cant remember now), one the normal looking one for the phones, more of a rectanglar shape. While the other is more of a small square shaped one, doesnt the adsl line uses that (or atleast the adsl line fits right into it)? Where else else would you plug that 'phone' line that came with the adsl modem (cause adsl pack came with a phone line had those small square like connectors, one side I would assume connects to the modem with the other side to the else where if not the filter)?

Please explain ^^

Thanks

Terry Porritt
02-05-2006, 10:19 PM
There are two styles of plug in "ADSL line filter". One is an inline filter that plugs into the wall phone jack, and the phone plugs into the other end of it.

The other type, the one you are talking about, has two outlets, one for the phone, the other for the modem.

The phone outlet has the filter internally wired to it, the modem socket is straight through from the wall socket.

roddy_boy
02-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Yes, in that case, you plug the adsl into the socket marked ADSL (the square one). Those filters have one socket for phone, which is "filtered", and a socket for the ADSL signal, which essentially just connects straight to the phone line.
You don't need one of these filters for your ADSL line though. You can just plug it straight into the wall with a standard phone cable. (eg your dial-up modem one)

Lol i got beat. And T said it better than me :p

CCF
02-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Awesome ^^ thanks a lot for everyones help ^^ This clears alot of things up ^^

Awesome and thanks ^^