PDA

View Full Version : AMD Athlon 3000 64bit Issues with PSU!!!!!

CaptinMoor
30-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Hi there guys, I have spent the weekend driving all over the countyry side trying to get my bloody pc to go. I have a ASUS A8N-E running a AMD Athlon 3000+ 64bit CPU and a Geforce 6600gt with a 580w power supplie and it would only boot to the post screen, then hang. I tried resting the BIOS and trying to reinstall the Operating System but to no avail. A friend told me to strip it down to the basics and it worked. So I am thinking that it is the power supplie. Because the video card and the cd & dvd rom are stealing to much power. Has anyone else had this problem with not enought grunt out of a 580wpsu. If so what is the resolution to fixing it without spending $241 for a 690w psu from pricespy.

**** it would have been cheaper to buy a new mother board that a power supplie at that price.

I would love to hear what you have to say on this problem.

Thanks

Captin Moor

CYaBro
30-04-2006, 04:45 PM
A 580W PSU is plenty for that setup. An example is a guy at work has an AMD 3000+ with two 6600GT running in SLI mode with only a 480W PSU.

When you say you stripped it down to the basics and it worked, what did you actually do?

The_End_Of_Reality
30-04-2006, 04:50 PM
I am running an Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 7800GTX on a 535W Enermax PSU and no problems.

It might be a problem with a piece of hardware, what did you take out?

CaptinMoor
30-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Well It actually didnt work. As soon as I rebooted is hung again. What I did was remove the DVD rom and the CD rom and removed the video card. But doesnt matter cause I still did the same thing. I have rebooted about 15 times to try and get it to load. So am to scared to turn it off now. Sometimes it hangs on the ASUS screen at boot up some times it gets all the way through to the windows blue bar screen before it shows the blue screen of death and reboots. Some times it gets to the windows desktop before it hangs and you cant do anything.

Please help its driveing me up the wall.Please help its driveing me up the wall.Please help its driveing me up the wall.Please help its driveing me up the wall.Please help its driveing me up the wall. :badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

Metla
30-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Try another PSU, You could run that gear off a 350w with no issue.

lagbort
30-04-2006, 06:22 PM
I was under the impression that windows would refuse to loa at all without some sort of video card/onboard video present...

CaptinMoor
30-04-2006, 06:24 PM
I replaced the Video card with one from another one of my machines. Its an old scabie one. I dont have a 350w PSU but I do have a 250W do you think that will cut the mustard or will it be a bit light.

tweak'e
30-04-2006, 06:28 PM
have you tried booting it off the cd?

you may have hardrive problem or even ram/cpu problem.

it kinda sounds like you have a device thats faulty (bios not seeing it on startup and when it does windows crashes trying to use it). if you can get into the bios disable all onboard devices and underclock the ram if you can. disconnect the hardrive and boot of a cd.

edit: if it is a psu problem quite often it will squell or chirp. keep your ears open.

CaptinMoor
30-04-2006, 06:40 PM
I would love to be able to boot frrom the CD but I have not been able to get it to work for a while now. Just boots straight to the hard drive even when I set the optical drives as first to boot and totally remove the hard drive from the boot menu. I think that if I could re install windows even thing would be ok fingers x. But I dont know. Probably not.

In regards to trying to under clock the RAM I dont think that ASUS's bios will let you do that. From what I have been able to fin its pretty limited.

Of course I could be wrong. If someone knows how to do this please tell me. I will go and give it a go though.

Thanks for all your help guys its great. Keep it coming.

johnd
30-04-2006, 10:26 PM
These problems are happening before WIndows loads mainly - I doubt if reinstalling will make any difference. It is a guess - but sounds horribly like faulty RAM assuming the PSU is OK. Have you got multiple sticks? - if so try it on one & if no difference, on the other.

Tux
01-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi there guys, I have spent the weekend driving all over the countyry side trying to get my bloody pc to go. I have a ASUS A8N-E running a AMD Athlon 3000+ 64bit CPU and a Geforce 6600gt with a 580w power supplie and it would only boot to the post screen, then hang. I tried resting the BIOS and trying to reinstall the Operating System but to no avail. A friend told me to strip it down to the basics and it worked. So I am thinking that it is the power supplie. Because the video card and the cd & dvd rom are stealing to much power. Has anyone else had this problem with not enought grunt out of a 580wpsu. If so what is the resolution to fixing it without spending $241 for a 690w psu from pricespy.

**** it would have been cheaper to buy a new mother board that a power supplie at that price.

I would love to hear what you have to say on this problem.

Thanks

Captin Moor

numbers are all good, BUT is it a quality psu? as in, 400-600w psu's are putting less voltage through the 12v rail than higher quality 300w PSU, what brand is it? or is it oem?

CaptinMoor
01-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Not quite sure but it has the name CAX, Task Internation INC. Thats all I could find in the way of a name.

Tux
01-05-2006, 08:07 PM
get a silverstone ST405 and you should be fine, btw i cant find any task psu of that range, oem are often like sony, a bazillion watts 6x9 that is really under 100wrms