PDA

View Full Version : Index page for FrontPage 2002

Jim
29-04-2006, 11:26 PM
I've forgotten what to do :-(

Should the index page for FrontPage be index.htm or index.html?

My other index pages are index.html but this one is index.htm and I can't post it to my website

If necessary how can I change index.htm to Index.html. Can I just "rename" the ending or do I have to do something else

Jim

jermsie
29-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Simply renaming the extension would be ok. I don't have any experience with frontpage, i just hard code or use dreamweaver.
Make sure any links to the index page are changed to .html instead of .htm if you do in fact change the extention..

Greg
30-04-2006, 12:40 AM
It won't (or shouldn't) make any difference at all. I always use htm and it always works fine, although never published any pages using FrontPage.

Kame
30-04-2006, 12:48 AM
.htm is laziness, the proper extension is .html, .htm was because of DOS-Windows 95's lack of long filenames.extensions (8.3).

Use .html, .htm was only accepted just so it wouldn't affect these types of systems, but I would think your host would not be running these anymore so they would most likely support .html, also when it comes to index.html vs index.htm, index.html would be the first to be looked for.

It does not make a difference, but I still consider it lazy.

You can just rename the ending, although you should be able to setup frontpage to also make sure it uses .html as default rather than .htm.

Cheers,

KK

Jim
30-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Thanks for your advice

It seems that I can just change htm endings to html by renaming That answers my original question so it must be some other reason why I'm having difficulty jn posting this particulr one

Jim

John W
30-04-2006, 09:43 AM
A quick note here.

If you use a host provider that uses Frontpage Extensions, the Index Page will not be displayed unless its tagged with html. The site will transfer just fine, but not display. This only applies to the index page, not subsequent pages.

HTH :)