PDA

View Full Version : Transferring files

JJJJJ
27-04-2006, 08:44 PM
I've ordered things today for a new computer. I was about to start filling up CD's with what I want keep and I've had a bright idea.

Is there any reason why I can't remove the hard disk from present computer and stick it in the new one as a slave. Then can I drag what I want from one drive to the other? Both comps have sata drives.

zqwerty
27-04-2006, 09:08 PM
That is what I have done although not with SATA.

Renmoo
27-04-2006, 09:20 PM
I've ordered things today for a new computer. I was about to start filling up CD's with what I want keep and I've had a bright idea.

Is there any reason why I can't remove the hard disk from present computer and stick it in the new one as a slave. Then can I drag what I want from one drive to the other? Both comps have sata drives.
In simple term, it sounded logical and possible.

Cheers :)

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2006, 09:34 PM
It should be OK if you copy files you've downloaded from the net and they're in their original format (ie: exe install files, MP3's etc), to the new hdd.

I doubt programs that have already been installed will work properly, tho, if u copy them across to the new hdd.

They'll have to be reinstalled.

The_End_Of_Reality
27-04-2006, 10:47 PM
I have done this and as long as they are not programs and such (as long as they are install files etc) it will be fine...

JJJJJ
28-04-2006, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the replies. You've saved me a lot of work. :thumbs:

kingdragonfly
28-04-2006, 10:45 AM
EMC Insignia, formerly Dantz, Retrospect might be of assistance, if you're doing a selective backup. ($$$)

http://www.emcinsignia.com/

Also a 2.5" laptop drive in an external USB/IDE enclosure is quick to use, and handy.