PDA

View Full Version : Gmail - lost mail - beta

Misty
27-04-2006, 07:54 PM
I was listening today to a podcast from C/Net. One person on Gmail allegedly lost 300Mgs of emails when his/her logon failed. On query he was told there was nothing that could be done to help the situation and given a short sharp brushoff ! The C/Net people kept relatively neutral but did point out that although Gmail is considered very safe in general it is still identified as being in the beta stage and is free. This means that in cases such as the above there is no comeback.

Best not to have anything on Gmail that is not duplicated in some way. A salutory lesson !!?? :horrified

What do you think ? :2cents:
Misty

stu161204
27-04-2006, 08:01 PM
If I have pop or imap access to a mail server I download my mail, I never keep any of it on the mail servers.

web_dev_er
27-04-2006, 08:09 PM
I use gmail, but I always download my mail using the POP Download option under Settings in gmial, why, because of what you just said, it's not googles responsibility to keep your mail safe, they offer it as BETA, and under hte Gmial logo it has a little BETA icon, so yes, poor guy who lost his data, but stupid he didnt back it up.
My 2cents.
Btw have you seen google keeps growing up and up in storage they are now allowing you 2718MB of mail space, they seem to add a new storage server every day as the count goes up daily! :thumbs:

Renmoo
27-04-2006, 08:12 PM
For those who have been regularly backing up their data to their Gmail account via Gmail drive, should they start to get panicked now?

Cheers :)

Misty
27-04-2006, 08:14 PM
they are now allowing you 2718MB of mail space,:thumbs:
and if you are going to download it as a sensible security option then what is the use of all of this potential space ?? It is not even secure enough as a backup option !
Misty :D

jermsie
27-04-2006, 11:02 PM
You may also notice that the increase in space is slowing. Still, only on 13% ~ 350mb or so :P

MTLance
27-04-2006, 11:11 PM
You can't blame GMail for this because this is BETA TESTING and not open for all people yet, if you have problems report to Gmail to improve their GMail service.

REMEMBER BETA TESTING.

Misty
28-04-2006, 08:53 AM
You can't blame GMail for this because this is BETA TESTING and not open for all people yet, if you have problems report to Gmail to improve their GMail service.

REMEMBER BETA TESTING.
Was anyone blaming ? I was merely repeating what was said on the podcast. I do not have a problem at all. Nevertheless over the past year or two I have noticed that invitations have been sent out willy nilly to anybody who asked. Many of these would be newcomers with no knowledge of what beta is about and unaware of the pitfalls. Additionally there has appeared to be a false sense that GMail is without any of these types of problems.

I am endeavouring to warn any members who may not have thought through the situation (in a non-dogmatic way ! :p ).
Misty ;)