PDA

View Full Version : Website design help...please!!

Tukapa
27-04-2006, 11:13 AM
HI all

I am wanting to create my own website and (mistakenly perhaps) thought it shouldn't be too hard.

Anyway - I went through webbase and booked six months hosting and a domain name.

Now I want to know some advice - I have access to both Frontpage and Dreamweaver so which would be best to design my site through (or is there some other option I should be looking at)?

As an aside I looked at OSCommerce and tried to install it to my site but think I stuffed it up somehow. I intend on having items for sale on my website and thought that OSCommerce would provide a satisfactory solution but have obviously done something wrong.

Any advice, help or pointers to any tutorials would be greatly received.

Thanks for reading!!

mejobloggs
27-04-2006, 11:37 AM
easiest way is to grab a template.

www.oswd.org
www.openwebdesign.org

Free, and there are some really nice ones.

What version of FrontPage? If it is not 2003, dont bother with Frontpage, but use dreamweaver instead.

Tukapa
27-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Frontpage 2002.

Thanks for the links - will look now.

stu161204
27-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Frontpage 2002.

in that case use dreamweaver instead :)

Good luck

If you need a hand installing OSCommerce let me know & I will be happy to have a look & see what you did wrong, Just PM me.

kingdragonfly
27-04-2006, 03:53 PM
The equation is pretty simple:

Frontpage = Microsoft = mediocre

If you're writing your first web site, it probably doesn't really matter.

Adobe has aquired Macromedia and DreamWeaver, and so it's a pretty simple choice for web professionals: Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, ...
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/acquisition.html

superuser
27-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Use Dreamweaver, but give it time you wont learn everything overnight.

Oscommerce should be fairly easy to install, however there are quite a number of things to configure to get it just right it may pay to get someone to help you, or contact Webbase for help.

stu161204
27-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Oscommerce should be fairly easy to install, however there are quite a number of things to configure to get it just right it may pay to get someone to help you

thatís what I am doing :)

superuser
27-04-2006, 07:36 PM
thatís what I am doing :)

Well fine then. :p :D

web_dev_er
27-04-2006, 08:54 PM
HI all

I am wanting to create my own website and (mistakenly perhaps) thought it shouldn't be too hard.

Any advice, help or pointers to any tutorials would be greatly received.

Thanks for reading!!

Use dreamweaver and use NZ only free hosting service www.hostingdirect.co.nz to host your newly made web site. They supply a free domain name also.
you can also upload oscommerce and any other popular php script, the give you php and mysql for free too.
Hope that will get you going.

MTLance
28-04-2006, 12:20 AM
I don't have dreaweaver but Front Page is pretty easy I guest for displaying stuff and downloading stuff. But takes me up a lot of time making a web.
I wanted to built a web where every one can download my Midtown Madness 2 game addons but the files are too huge to upload to free web hosting site. In the end I give up because since NZ is so far away from Europe means file transfering are slower and ppl don't like downloading slow files anyway.