PDA

View Full Version : Network Issue, or hardware?

Myth
25-04-2006, 02:10 PM
I think I know the answer to this but Im seeking others input.

I have a network set up here at home. The network sits behind a D-Link DSL-504G router modem. There are always 2, sometimes more computers hooked up within the network. They are:
This computer.. P4(2.66Ghz) 512MB-RAM 64MB Grafix card
Partners comp.. Celeron (466Mhz) 192MB-RAM Onboard Grafix

Both have 10/100 NICs

On this machine (approx 2 metres from router CAT5) I have no lag issues whatsoever with games site that my partner frequents.
Partners computer (10 metres from router CAT5E I think but no less than CAT5) gets bad lag when at games site.

Im thinking its probably her hardware (specifically CPU) being slower and older; thats causing this. Though I might be wrong and it could be the fact the network sits behind a router rather than a switch.

I have another 466 computer that sometimes connects, it too lags, while my 2.6 Celeron based laptop doesnt (both 5 metres from the router) both connect on same cable, just not at same time.

Could it be the router is routing more to the higher speed CPU comps and shutting out the others, or is it purely the computers themselves?

All IPS are static, all computers have no connectivity issues other than the lag

Myth
25-04-2006, 02:50 PM
As a p.s. to the previous post, the games site in question is pogo.com. All games run on java (and yes thats been checked and updated)

MTLance
26-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Could it be your Network card problem on the PC? I got the same problem too but it was the network card problem for me. Just test them out with a shorter cable and see how it works and with different computer and cable.
Hope that helps.
And report it to me what you're done if you couldn't find the problem.