PDA

View Full Version : comp bluescreens when I enable wireless network card

Greven
24-04-2006, 02:55 PM
I have a compaq D510s that has a screwed onboard network adapter. I have been using a wireless network card with no real problems for months, but today I installed a standard network card so I can take it to a LAN tomorrow.

The comp bluescreened when I first booted it up, so I went to disable the new network card but disabled the wireless one by mistake. Now the wired network card works fine, but whenever I enable the wireless network card it bluescreens - even if the wired network card is disabled

Speedy Gonzales
24-04-2006, 03:09 PM
And what does the blue screen say??

Error code? Does it show a driver name?

So, what was wrong with the onboard LAN, why u had to install another??

Greven
24-04-2006, 03:37 PM
It doesn't display a driver name. the error is *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF896CCA0, 0xF896c99c)

The onboard network bluescreened every time I installed the drivers - that was before I got a wireless network card. I spent ages talking to HP support about it & nothing they got me to try fixed the problem.

Greven
24-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Sweet. it is no longer telling me error with unknown driver. The automatic microsoft analysis says it is a video card problem. I don't see how the symptoms match up with that, but I'll try upgrading to the latest version of my video card drivers.

Greven
24-04-2006, 04:08 PM
I updated the video card drivers & still no luck. I'll try removing the video card & going back to onboard.

Speedy Gonzales
24-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Try Drivercleaner Pro (http://www.drivercleaner.net)

Uninstall ALL videocard drivers, install Drivercleaner. Boot into safe mode, run drivercleaner, select the option for your drivers (Nvidia, whatever), and drivercleaner will clean / remove the drivers for the videocard. Then reinstall the videocard drivers. Selecting the wrong option in Drivercleaner will remove it, and you'll have to reinstall the drivers again.

MAKE SURE, you select the right driver with Drivecleaner. Especially if the chipset is Nvidia WDM or other. This option in Drivercleaner would be for the chipset, NOT for the videocard drivers. If the drivers are ATI, or Nvidia, select ONLY ATI, or Nvidia in Drivercleaner.

Greven
24-04-2006, 05:03 PM
I took out the video card & it works now, but I have to re-activate windows becasue of "Significant hardware changes" (I also swapped over my wireless & wired network cards so the wireless one is on top)

I'll have to ring Microsoft because "the number of times you can activate windows with this product key has been exceeded"