PDA

View Full Version : 3G Data Card assistance needed please

CaptinMoor
24-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Hi there guys, i have some one that is looking to change to the Vodafone 3G Data card to replace there existing phone set up. They have a laptop, but would like to use it on the desktop, and network it from there. Now my question is has anyone seen a USB device that can take this type of Data card. If not is there anyother way of setting up this guys house besides running a wireless network through the laptop. Looking forward to anyone with an opinion on how to help.

Cheers

CYaBro
24-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Just to clarify, you want to be able to put the PCMCIA Vodafone 3G card into the desktop somehow and share the connection with the laptop?

CaptinMoor
24-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Thats the one mate. I could always run it backwards as in run the 3G through the laptop and have a wireless LAN in the house for the deskto,. But I swear that I have seen an adapter to do what im trying to do though. Just cant remember where.

Graham L
24-04-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I have seen such PCI cards. DSE, Jaycar, and Global Pc don't have them. ;)

Wouldn't this be very expensive network access?

CaptinMoor
25-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Yes your right it would but im just doing what the customer wants.

gcarmich
25-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Have a look here http://www.expansys.co.nz/product.asp?code=PCD-RP-101CE

CaptinMoor
25-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Legend, thank you so mush that is just what I was after. Thank you so much!!!

:D

CYaBro
25-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Don't know if these (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5659) are available yet.

CaptinMoor
26-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks I have actually seen these before. But man are they expensive. They are around $899rrp and that is a little bit to expensive for what this guy is after. But thanks for the URL though.

I have actually decided to go with the PCI data card adaptor in the above URL. It is alot cheaper and I can network the guys machines though a wireless router that he already has. So I think that this is the most cost effective way but if anyone has a better idea please let me know. I am always open to new ideas.