PDA

View Full Version : Get "socket not connected" error when trying to connect to a ftp server

Term_X
24-04-2006, 12:21 AM
HIi Team

i get this error when using both flashfxp and smartftp, "socket not connected, client closed connection. i thought this might have something to do with the firewalls. windows firewall and kaspersky anti hacker are both set to allow those programs access, they look fine. and so i tried accessing the ftp with both firewalls off (i know not a good thing to do but i had to try and eliminate them from the cause) and get the same socket is not connected error. thing is i can access the ftp via internet explorer or mozilla firefox fine, although its a pain in the neck and the speeds are usually arent as good.

any ideas??

this is very fustrating

running windows xp pro with sp2.

Thanks in advance

Term X

stu161204
24-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Is this to your own server or a web host server? If itís a web host server have you asked your web host about this?

Who's Your ISP? & web host?

Term_X
24-04-2006, 01:08 AM
im with wired country and its a web host server that im trying to grab some files from. its fine with internet explorer and firefox.. just dont know why it wont work with ftp clients?

Kame
24-04-2006, 05:08 AM
Can you post a log from your FTP client of what's happening?

Have you tried those FTP clients on other FTP sites to see if similar results happen.

It would be good to see the log though, just to see at what point it happens.

Cheers,

KK

Term_X
25-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi There Kame

seems its not just ftp clients affected. I tried to update my system mechanic program and it said , cant connect, socket not connect error # 10057, which incidently is the same error showing up on the ftp clients.

so theres something on my pc blocking socket connections, i tried to google for error 10057, but couldnt really find anything that explains how to fix and where to fix it.

Term_X
26-04-2006, 10:40 PM
bump

:-)

stu161204
27-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Are you using any Firewalls?, if so what are they?

Graham L
27-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Traditional FTP uses two ports, 21 and 20. I think that some of the clever new clients and servers can use other ports, but that error message means that there isn't any port available to even open a session. Your security is beating you. ;)

Term_X
27-04-2006, 07:44 PM
using kaspersky anti hacker, which ive found is really good, maybe its too good? thing is though, even when turned off, i still had the same error.. racking my brains re this.