PDA

View Full Version : diagnosis; is it dead?

kaliyuga
23-04-2006, 12:14 PM
I was having trouble after replacing the soundcard in my pc, so I was in the process of uninstalling the drivers etc and physicaly removing the soundcard to start over.
I put soundcard (creative live) into new pci slot and restarted comp but :eek: on starting it does one long beep and then nothing just the fans turning and the monitor goes into standby.

I left it a day and turned it on again and it worked, but today it is back to playing dead.

what to do?..........

Prescott
23-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Is the card fully inserted in the slot?

Have you disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS?Have you uninstalled the onboard sound drivers?

kaliyuga
23-04-2006, 12:26 PM
the onboard soundcard is enabled at the moment, i was on my way to the bios to check that because I originally had another soundcard in there and may not have properly cleared it from the system but now of course I can't get that far...

I took the creative soundcard out again by the way so there is only the onboard sound at the moment
:waughh:
probably totally did things in the wrong order because i don't know what I'm doing....

technicianxp
23-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Most likely the computer should boot up again after you've taken out the card. I have encountered similar problems on macs which don't boot up after putting in network cards (however, x86 PCs are a different case). I guess that would be the first step. Afterwards if you can, perhaps test out the card in another computer and see what happens. If it screws up again then it's most likely the card itself is faulty.

If your computer is still refusing to boot up, even after taking out the card then it is possible that you may have damaged something while installing it (if not physically then perhaps through static electricity in your body (unless you grounded yourself first)). In that case there's probably a lot of work to do if you don't want to chuck it out or have it looked at by a computer repair company.

gibler
23-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Just try other PCI slots and see what happens...
Try it in another PC too, if possible.

kaliyuga
23-04-2006, 06:20 PM
If your computer is still refusing to boot up, even after taking out the card then it is possible that you may have damaged something while installing it (if not physically then perhaps through static electricity in your body (unless you grounded yourself first)). In that case there's probably a lot of work to do if you don't want to chuck it out or have it looked at by a computer repair company.[/QUOTE]

yeah i was hoping it wouldn't get to that, :groan: odd it wouldn't start then started then didn't again