PDA

View Full Version : Zonealarm

Naruto28
23-04-2006, 01:53 AM
Is it just my computer or is it true that Zonealarm Security Suite slows down ur computer like hell? Coz, my computer and internet, after installing ZA has been acting very lethargic.

Thanks

PS. anyway to fix this?

zqwerty
23-04-2006, 02:11 AM
Please give details of your cpu, motherboard etc, should be ok on anything better than a Pent III 500MHz with more than 256meg ram running XP, I think.

zqwerty
23-04-2006, 02:14 AM
Go here to find out about services you can switch off to release ram and increase your performance:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

Big John
23-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Is it just my computer or is it true that Zonealarm Security Suite slows down ur computer like hell? Coz, my computer and internet, after installing ZA has been acting very lethargic.

Thanks

PS. anyway to fix this?

Yep it is true. Many say Nortons bogs the system down but it is nothing compared to what ZoneAlarm does. I have tried both on the same machine (no not at the same time) and so know which causes the most slow down.

To fix it turn it off and it will magically speed up again but this does leave you exposed unless you have something else to replace it with.

My specs in case you are wondering on the test machine.
Intel P4 2Ghz with 1GB SDRam. 80 + 60 GB hard drives partitioned.

While it is not top of the line now it was when I built it but on it I was comparing apples to apples as far as the machine went and the software as they really both have the same functionality.

Strommer
23-04-2006, 09:56 AM
ZA Security Suite works fine for me with no slowing of the system.

WinXP, P4 - 3Ghz, 1G RAM

pctek
23-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Mine doesn't. However, I am still using ZoneALarm Pro version 4.
I don't have email checking on.

Try it with email and antivirus off.

Prescott
23-04-2006, 12:47 PM
This is a surprise. I have ZA, and there are no problems with it, although i do have all the "features" turned off. Im just running the firewall.

tweak'e
23-04-2006, 01:15 PM
well every AV, antispyware (real time protection) and firewall is going to slow down your pc. neccary evil i'm afraid. some are better than others but don't forget that varies with with every version as well. av exspecially changes so often it can be poor one month, excellent the next.

zahmad
23-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I hate zonealarm.........it screwed up my computer many times.......:(

Renmoo
23-04-2006, 09:54 PM
I use to have ZA SS on my computer - until it starts modifying unnecessarily my startup programs. Besides, it is also a great resource-guzzler, but not to the extent of slowing down my computer. Computer configuration: P4 3.0GHz HT, 512MB DDR RAM.

Cheers :)