PDA

View Full Version : Help with Win 98 install

hotkiwi
22-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Friends,
the title looks like i am a dinosaur, the story is simple.
After many years with Windows XP, I gave my daughter my old Toshiba notebook with a 1.2 GB (!!) disk to play old Win 98 games and have her first computer experience. I got from afriend a brandnew Win 98 disk plus rego number.
I formatted the disk with all my stuff on it by simply keying in format c:.
Now i remember that that is a stupid to do, since the computer upon startup does not see my anymore. I suddenly remembered that that was an issue, and that i would have to craete a autoexec.bat and config.sys file with some lines with ATAPI in it.
Is that right? Where can I find these little batch files and make the drive visible again.
My 7 year old daughter thanks yuou.

Cheers

Johan

Myth
22-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I am assuming you are having troubles with the cd drive?.

When doing an install, you can use a boot floppy which should have the drivers for the cd drive (mscdex)

You can get a bootdisk from Bootdisk.com (http://bootdisk.com/)

Download it, put it on floppy (I am assuming the laptop has a floppy drive). Set bios in laptop to boot from floppy first

tweak'e
22-04-2006, 09:15 PM
to format c drive you would haveneeded to boot useing another boot disk. most boot disks have cd drivers etc on it. however laptops can have issues with cd drives because they don't always use ide interface. the manafacture may have a special boot disk advaiable for download.

hotkiwi
23-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Cheers guys, it pays off that it is a Toshiba, you are right, they also have downloadable bootdisks on their site!
Youi made a little girl her holidays happy !

Cheers

johan
Northshore