PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express/Webmail problem



Beemer
21-04-2006, 10:56 PM
I have a Paradise account and use Outlook Express for my email (running Windows XP home edition). I have a domain name and two email addresses set up so all my emails arrive in the OE inbox. A couple of days ago it started prompting me for my usernames and passwords for those two email accounts, but despite re-entering the information, I am getting the following error message: "There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'mail.writeability.co.nz', Server: 'mail.writeability.co.nz', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Unable to log on', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92"

I can check the emails using the Horde webmail service - with the same usernames and passwords that are entered in OE - but the messages aren't arriving in my OE inbox. I even went so far as to remove one of the addresses and re-enter all the information into OE again, but the problem hasn't gone away. It's a real pain as the two addresses in question are my business ones so I am continually having to check them using webmail.

Any suggestions? I tried ringing Paradise last night but there was no one there, and I've only had an automated response to the email I sent them.

For the record, I haven't changed any settings, nor changed ISPs, nor installed any new software, etc. I had problems logging onto the webmail service for a while the other day (it also rejected my usernames and passwords) but that came right. I'm at a loss to know why this has suddenly started doing this when everything has been working fine for months!

Safari
22-04-2006, 12:53 AM
There is no point calling Paradise unless they have some connection with mail.writeability.co.nz which I doubt as it appears to be hosted outside NZ
They can only help you if you have a problem with your Paradise email account

You will need to contact the company who hosts the mail server mail.writeability.co.nz to see if there is any problem preventing you logging into it.

notechyet
22-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Beemer
Have you checked your firewall?
Have you made sure the smtp and pop details are ok?
Gion

Cicero
22-04-2006, 08:02 AM
I would start by looking to see if being interfered with..adaware etc.

stu161204
22-04-2006, 03:07 PM
I agree with Safari here, you should contact your web host & see what they say, as there mail server could be having problems.

Pauline
22-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Hi,
Are you on Dialup?
I sometimes had that problem where the properties had changed themselves from this is the default & never dial a connection.
It could be worth looking in the properties, dialing tab.
Pauline.

Beemer
23-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Thanks everyone, all back to normal now! Another helpful member contacted me and told me to run Crap Cleaner and Hijack This and to send him the log file. He identified a few things that needed fixing and also a piece of nasty spyware that needed deleting. :thumbs:

I also managed to get my emails downloading into OE again too - for some reason it kept asking for my username and password (and both fields were already populated so I just re-entered the information to be sure). When it kept doing it again tonight, I decided to enter my full email address (ie the account name) instead of just the username and voila, all of sudden it started checking the server and downloading all the emails! Woo hoo, good to be back in business again! (Wish I'd thought to try that earlier... :groan: )