PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Wireless Setup ???

bones
21-04-2006, 10:46 PM
My wife has received a new Compaq Laptop( NX 6120) thru the school she teaches at. Thanks to the help of the local DSE manager I have stumbled my way thru setting up wireless broadband on my desktop pc and my (ageing) laptop. My problem is, the brand new shiney one can't (or wont) detect anything, and I can't get internet accesss on it. Sitting 1.5 metres away from the wireless router and still nothing, zip, nada! :waughh:
Can anyone offer any (helpful) suggestions.

CYaBro
21-04-2006, 11:20 PM
The wireless card is enabled?
There should be a button on the left above the keyboard to enable or disable the wireless card in the laptop.

bones
22-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Yes there is but when pressed I just get a message "No Wireless network available" even tho my laptop is connected right next to it. :annoyed:

bones
22-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Sorry - Pressing button gets no response at all. Message comes up when I right click on network icon in taskbar and "View available networks"

CYaBro
22-04-2006, 11:33 AM
When you press the button you should see a blue LED turn on or off (may be along the front edge of the notebook) and at the same time this turns the wireless on or off.
How do you connect to the wireless broadband? Is it woosh? Or do you have a wireless ADSL router? Are you in New Zealand?

bones
22-04-2006, 01:17 PM
LED on button and front edge of laptop. No response when pressed.Have a wireless router. Yes am in NZ. My old laptop connects no sweat thru USB Wireless LAN card and my daughters laptop has built in wireless. We have no trouble connecting but the new one seems to be brain dead in the wireless dept.Shows up as present and correct in device manager tho. Thanks for your help so far btw.

Marmion
22-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi, I have the HP nx8220. You say the blue Wireless light doesn't light up?
Check both "HP Wireless Assistant" (either taskbar or Control Panel), and confirm that both
a) Wireless is enabled in the BIOS, and
b) Wireless is switched on.
If it is disabled via BIOS, press F10 on startup, just after you press the power button, go to the last menu on the right and enable Wireless.
Also, make sure you are not connected via ethernet cable/lan, as this automatically disables Wireless.
Hope this helps :)

bones
22-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks, tried that but all seems to be OK. Wireless is enabled in BIOS and seems to be turned on. Just says no network available.

dolby digital
22-04-2006, 09:00 PM
I find laptops with on board wireless a bit of a pain as they don't have any activity or link lights (or do they). Have you checked device manager to see that it is included there. Of course the wireless card could be faulty.

bones
22-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Everything looks fine, just doesn't do anything. (Why does Paris Hilton pop into my head as I type that?) Plugged in a wireless PCMCIA card and got connected in about 2 mins. Just annoying that I have to do that when its supposed to have onboard wifi.

Marmion
23-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Do you use Windows to connect or the Intel PROSet/Wireless?
Maybe the problem is you are trying to use Windows but if Intel is default, then Windows won't actually show up any networks (because Intel is doing the wireless networks) or vice versa?

Graham L
23-04-2006, 03:29 PM
This is "... a new Compaq Laptop( NX 6120)... "

It should be fixed, while the guarantee is valid. That's what the guarantee is for. :D

CYaBro
23-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Everything looks fine, just doesn't do anything. (Why does Paris Hilton pop into my head as I type that?).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Graham L
23-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Paris H can "multitask". She can answer the phone while she is doing other things. There's evidence in a movie made by an ex-boyfriend.

bones
23-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Do you use Windows to connect or the Intel PROSet/Wireless?
Maybe the problem is you are trying to use Windows but if Intel is default, then Windows won't actually show up any networks (because Intel is doing the wireless networks) or vice versa?
Using windows. I found a check box under wireless configuration about "Use Windows to manage wireless etc" and have tried with that checked and unchecked but no difference. I think I'll leave it with using the PCMCIA card for now until after the holidays and get my wife to quiz the school IT guy. Perhaps they "hobble" them somehow to (try to)prevent (easy)access to other networks( they are a bit paranoid) .