PDA

View Full Version : Problem Accessing Another Computer. Please Help.

MTLance
20-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Can anyone help me with windows networking problems?

I got some problem accessing another computer, both computers are WinXP with SP2 but when I try to access file from another computer it shows this (http://mail.google.com/mail/?&ik=83b1dafe2f&view=att&th=10ab63923d7a54e6&attid=0.1).

What should I do? I already run home networking wizard on both computers but didn't work. I need some serious help here. Thx.

Speedy Gonzales
20-04-2006, 07:55 PM
It shows Gmail?

1. DON'T use the networking wizard. It never works.

2. Go to my network places. Then go to properties on both under the LAN.

And TCP/IP. Change it to use the following ip address, and put the ip addresses in manually. (If u want both to get on the net).

Then create a folder on each. And share it. DON'T share the whole hdd.

And if u dont have a network hub, u need a crossover cable.....

Thats if you're using ethernet.

The workgroup MUST have the same name on both as well.

MTLance
20-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Which propeties? My Network Places only shows Sharedocs on MyComputer name that's all. Nothing else.
And I'm using an ADSL Router Modem which is D-Link DSL-504T (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=373). That's all I have.

Speedy Gonzales
20-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Which propeties? My Network Places only shows Sharedocs on MyComputer name that's all. Nothing else.
And I'm using an ADSL Router Modem which is D-Link DSL-504T (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=373). That's all I have.

My network places / view network connections. Right mouse / properties for the LAN icons here.

MTLance
20-04-2006, 08:40 PM
What's the problem if if use obtained IP automactically?

Speedy Gonzales
20-04-2006, 08:42 PM
What's the problem if if use obtained IP automactically?

If u reboot it (the IP address changes), and the networked PC wont get on the net.

If you're giving it access to the net. And most probably stop it from sharing files as well.

MTLance
20-04-2006, 08:49 PM
How come my network places didn't show any other computer sharing file file? And when trying to access another computer it says "\\............. is not accessible. You might not have the premission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied." There are no passwords being put on either computers

Tux
20-04-2006, 08:50 PM
make sure the domains on both computers are the same, i had a very similar error, and the same workgroups.

MTLance
20-04-2006, 08:52 PM
What Domains? I'm not quite sure of a computer software meaning. Sorry.
Did you mean 10.1.1.X on this computer and 10.1.1.1 on other computer? This computer is 10.1.1.2 and the other computer is 10.1.1.5.

Tux
20-04-2006, 08:58 PM
under control panel, then system, then computer name, then change both the domain and the workgroup so they are identical, also, firewall?

Speedy Gonzales
20-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Dont worry about domains. Only XP Pro has this option, Home doesn't. And it isnt needed if you're networking in a house.

The main thing is, the workgroup name on both MUST be the same.

And when trying to access another computer it says "\\............. is not accessible. You might not have the premission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied." There are no passwords being put on either computers

You dont have to have a password. It helps, but one isnt needed if both use XP.

That error usually means, you havent configured both properly. You havent created the folder, or you've made/created the folder on both, but haven't shared the folder.

Or you've got a firewall running, which needs to be configured as well.

MTLance
20-04-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm using WinXP Pro in house. Both computers have the share folders. And yes, I run the home networking wizard and both computer have the same workground name which is home. It is so weird because I can't get information or files from another computer.
I have Zone Alarm Pro as a firewall does anyone know how to configure it?

I also have checked that both computer have the same workgroup name as HOME. What happen?

Tux
20-04-2006, 09:14 PM
disable it (i.e close it down) and try the file transfer.

Speedy Gonzales
20-04-2006, 09:17 PM
As I said in the previous post, enter the ip addresses in manually.

Are you on dialup or ADSL? And do you want the networked PC to get onto the net? As well as share a folder on it?

Is Zonealarm registered? If it is, and you enter the ip addresses in manually on both. ZA should detect the network, and should bring up a window saying it has detected a network, and add both PC's ip addresses, to it (if Zonealarm is on both computers).

MTLance
20-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Zone Alarm Pro have been shut down on both computers but still cannot access another computer.

Speedy Gonzales
20-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Take snapshots (press prt scr on the keyboard), of the LAN properties on both PC's (where it says obtain an ip automatically). So we can see whats there.

Then paste them into a graphics program, if u have one. Then save them as jpegs.

Then upload them here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/upload/) and paste the link/s it gives you back here.

You wont get anywhere until u enter the ip address in manually on both.

MTLance
20-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Zone Alarm only shows that I'm connected to a network hub which is my ADSL Router Modem.
I connect my both computer to my ADSL Router Modem which is D-Link DSL-504T.

MTLance
20-04-2006, 09:27 PM
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/SSOfMyTCPIP.Configuration.jpg

MTLance
20-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Main Problem is here
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/ProblemAccessingAnotherComputer.jpg

Tux
20-04-2006, 09:31 PM
have you got the router set up correctly for file transfer? if its a one off and you want to be lazy, use msn messenger, it will create its own tunnel through your router i have found

MTLance
20-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Ahh yes, found it. There are two setting on my ADSL Router Modem Here.
DHCP Server
DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Control Protocol. The DHCP server gives out IP addresses when a device is booting up and request an IP address to be logged on to the network. That device must be set as a DHCP client to "Obtain the IP address automatically". By default, the DHCP Server is enabled. The DHCP address pool contains the range of the IP address that will automatically be assigned to the clients on the network.
Starting IP address - The starting IP address for the DHCP server's IP assignment.
Ending IP address - The ending IP address for the DHCP server's IP assignment.
Lease Time - The length of time for the IP lease.
DHCP client computers will have their information displayed in the Client Table. The Client Table will show the Host Name, IP Address, MAC Address, and Expired Time of the DHCP lease for each client computer. DHCP Relay
A DHCP relay is a computer that forwards DHCP data between computers that request IP addresses and the DHCP server that assigns the addresses. Each of the device's interfaces can be configured as a DHCP relay.if it is enable, the DHCP requests from local PCs will forward to the DHCP server runs on WAN side. To have this function working properly,please run on router mode only,disable the DHCP server on the LAN port,and make sure the routing table has the correct routing entry.
DHCP Relay IP - The DHCP server runs on WAN side.

Do I need to use DHCP Relay IP?
And what should I put for DHCP Relay IP Address?

MTLance
21-04-2006, 04:27 PM
You guys can't really help me right? I forgot how I managed to share file with the other computer and get access through. I forgot the method I knew that method will work but forgot.
My WinXP and ADSL Router Modem have been replaced causing this problem.

gibler
21-04-2006, 04:45 PM
read this (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Q_20917146.html)

XP Pro has security settings (enabled by default) that

1) Stop access over the network as a guest
2) Deny access over the network to user accounts using blank passwords.

Also whether you are using Simple File Sharing makes a difference.

It is far better just to use the "Map Network Drive" option anyway, than browsing the MS Network Neighbourhood.

Speedy Gonzales
21-04-2006, 04:49 PM
It is far better just to use the "Map Network Drive" option anyway, than browsing the MS Network Neighbourhood.

Or create a shortcut to the shared folder, under sendto

Even easier. Saves u going to My network places, or making a mapped drive. If u just want to copy files.

Terry Porritt
21-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Just to further confuse the issue :)

With the computer that you cannot access, go to Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Local Security Policy-Local Policies-Security Options, and look at the Network access settings.

Try making them the same as the first 5 in this screen shot:

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/networkaccess.jpg

MTLance
21-04-2006, 08:41 PM
How do I set the forth one to Not Defined? I can only choose two options which is enable or disable. How am I going to do that?

Terry Porritt
21-04-2006, 09:12 PM
I wasn't clear enough, NOT the first five entries on the page, but the first five entries beginning Network access. Actually you can try 4 of those 5, forget the line about .NET passports.

Now one or more of those lines may be preventing access. I had some problems and altered the settings to what is shown. Security risks are increased, but in my case access became available. I admit I was working in the dark a bit.

MTLance
21-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Thank You, Terry Porritt. It works. Are you a pro in computer software?