PDA

View Full Version : can telecom make more exchanges?

lance4k
19-04-2006, 02:41 PM
If u don't live that close to a telephone exchange, can telecom build more exchanges or can the build smaller exchanges on the roadside?

Graham L
19-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Of course they could. Of course they would want a return on the costs. How much are you prepared to pay?

KiwiTT_NZ
19-04-2006, 02:55 PM
They are installing more roadside cabinets.

jermsie
19-04-2006, 03:05 PM
I think the roadside boxes are 2nd generation and are connected by fibre for better performance. Probably wrong..

pctek
19-04-2006, 06:09 PM
If u don't live that close to a telephone exchange, can telecom build more exchanges or can the build smaller exchanges on the roadside?
Wrong question - you mean WILL they...probably not....

gibler
19-04-2006, 06:56 PM
I know at least one person who lives about 7 km from the local exchange in rural central Otago and Telecom installed a roadside cabinet. So he can get ADSL, even though he is in the middle of nowhere.

Then again, the Otago Trust was paying Telecom to do this rural stuff, so probably explains why they were doing it.

A wok colleague in Dunedin siad that Telecom told him yes there were some problems with the cabling in the area, and in the end it sounds like roadside cabinets were put in place..

tweak'e
19-04-2006, 07:36 PM
exchanges.......telecom? NO! they can't even keep pace wit the ones they have got, so many are in need of upgrades.

whats the point of faster adsl if the exchanges can't cope with the traffic?

EX-WESTY
19-04-2006, 08:35 PM
There are new roadside cabinets being installed. In the new subdivisions in a metro area these are primarily fed via a fibre optic cable, with conklin ADSL equipment installed to provide the jetstream service. These are the larger cabinets. The older ones are copper fed or may be fed via a pcm stream and converted back to voice frequency. In the rural areas new cabinets are installed to increase capacity and provide new services such as ADSL. These are installed over existing network and are primarily fed via a 2Mbt stream per 30 channels. ADSL is also provided if demand warrents / cost benefit etc .

PaulD
19-04-2006, 08:38 PM
"so many are in need of upgrades" - If they'd upgraded 5 years ago, the equipment would be obsolete by now. The gear worth installing has only recently been developed.
http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=3223&page=8&pagesize=10
Google for Alcatel info if you want more detail.

John W
19-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Bugger more exchanges, they ought to look after the Security of the Fibe optic cable backbone, the line into Dn is blatntly exposed in one location, any Johnny with half a mind could put an axe through it. Im asuming its FOptic cable of course, cant think of what else it could be, with Dont Dig telecom signs either side of this spot...

gibler
20-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Bugger more exchanges, they ought to look after the Security of the Fibe optic cable backbone, the line into Dn is blatntly exposed in one location, any Johnny with half a mind could put an axe through it. Im asuming its FOptic cable of course, cant think of what else it could be, with Dont Dig telecom signs either side of this spot...

Yes, I was once digging a hole for a stop sign in Central Otago. The Telecom cable was barely buried 20 cm. I reckon it would have taken out Queenstown if cut.

DangerousDave
20-04-2006, 02:11 AM
Didn't a rat chew though the main cable, making me live without internet for a day.

Damn that was a horrible day.