PDA

View Full Version : TV I/O w/S- or RCA?

SurferJoe46
17-04-2006, 02:39 PM
I want to ask this really dumb question:

Have that really neat vid card (GeForce 5500 OC AGP), and want to be able to send/receive signal from either VCR or tv. Having the S-Signal cord installed, I want to ask if there's a demodulator to convert to RCA (the 3-coax jacks, not the usual coax).

The vcr and the tv here in my room (cage) is not as modern as I would like and can one get an adapter to make the signals work?

The HomeTheater in the living room has all the bells and whistles, but I don't get to use that for the puter.....mean ol' wife! (I didn't say that).

And another question: can the output from the GeForce card feed another monitor even if it requires a different refresh rate or screen size? I want to be able to feed dual monitors..but not the same brands or resolutions are available.

Speedy Gonzales
17-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Does it say video in on this s-video card??

If it doesnt, I doubt you'll get a video signal going thru it.

If the card has video out, it should be able to connect to tv if you have the right connections and the drivers for the card are installed. Different resolutions shouldnt be a prob. On this the res is 800*600 for the TV. Its good enough.

And if it does support a video signal, unless the card came with something, so u can see the TV/VCR signal, you wont see anything.

godfather
17-04-2006, 10:25 PM
SurferJoe, the Geforce (FX) 5500 is the chipset, utilised by many different makers. Some included Video In and Video Out (ViVo) many did not.

Without knowing the maker its impossible to say, but cards with ViVo should be supplied with a "breakout lead" with S-Video in and out, RCA Video in and out (4 separate leads to a single "s-video-like" plug. If you never got the 4 lead breakout lead, chances are high it aint got Video In.

My GainWard GF MX 460 has ViVo, came with lead and all software to utilise it as video capture. And it works.

kingdragonfly
18-04-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure if I exactly follow the request. If you have all the "bells and whistles" I guess money's not a factor.

I like the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 TV Tuner, about $200. It has on-board hardware based MPEG encoders. I was able to get about 4X the throughput compared to a software based encoding.

RCA to s-video convertors are pretty common; Dick Smith should have 'em. There is a slight loss in quality versus a S-video only setup. By the way, Sky does have a s-video Pace box, if you ask nicely.

Might want to see my thread about MySky versus a PVR.
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=67472