PDA

View Full Version : Anyone getting false readings from AVG?

Speedy Gonzales
17-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Because on the other PC here, AVG keeps on picking this up (http://www.grisoft.com/doc/virbase/lng/ww/tpl/tpl01?nam=Win32/Gaelicum)

C on this other PC is clean. D is a separate hard drive, and the only folder affected seems to be a folder called Download. (this is the only thing on D).

AVG only detects this worm in this 1 folder, and nowhere else on D.

The files AVG said were infected include Firefox 1.5.0.2, and files (usually XP updates, I've copied to this folder on the network). These files, however are clean on my computer. So, does this sound like a screwup with an update in AVG or something?

Its not until I've installed whatever files, I've copied across, AVG seems to detect that all the files have been infected.

And 1.5.0.2 of Firefox which is 4.87mb (and still on my PC @ this size), gets reduced to 506k, after I install it on the other PC here?

Spybot, Xoftspy, Trojan Remover, and Hijackthis, dont detect anything nasty on this other computer at all. I even formatted D, and once I copy files to the folder I created, AVG still says the files have been infected! After I install whatever from this folder.

The only thing I have to try now is the vcleaner file from the AVG in safe mode.

So, anyone have any ideas, on whether AVG is playing up. The files I've copied across are definitely NOT infected with anything.

The thing I cant figure out, is, if its a false +, why doesnt it say the files I copied across are infected as well?

Overdrive_5000
17-04-2006, 10:51 AM
You could try reinstalling avg and see if it makes a difference

zqwerty
17-04-2006, 12:15 PM
In response to you Speedy I scanned, Mozilla Firefox ver 1.5.0.2 in Program Files with AVG updated today, no problems.

Is that size 506k the size of the update of Firefox from 1.5.0.1 to 1.5.0.2 rather than the full .exe? I wonder.

Speedy Gonzales
17-04-2006, 12:31 PM
In response to you Speedy I scanned, Mozilla Firefox ver 1.5.0.2 in Program Files with AVG updated today, no problems.

Is that size 506k the size of the update of Firefox from 1.5.0.1 to 1.5.0.2 rather than the full .exe? I wonder.

No, it's the full size of FF. 4.87 mb. It was only after I installed whatever file,
on the other PC, with AVG installed, the resident scanner wld pop up saying the file I had just finished installing was infected.

The file size for that would then reduce. And ended up with no icon. It was more like a DOS icon.

As I copied it as 4.87 mb, from the PC I'm on now.

I usually download files to this PC, then use the send to option in My computer.

To the other 2 PC's here. Saves me opening my network places, and copying and pasting the files. Yup, I've scanned the latest version of FF too, nothing detected. I've removed AVG and reinstalled ZA for now.

I found that with AVG's firewall, (AVG plus firewall), the only prob was if u left file sharing open, it stays open online.

ZA's firewall blocks this. And if you tick file sharing in AVG's firewall, it locks it alright lol. You cant share files, end of story.

At least when u use ZA, it block the ports for file sharing, but at least u can still copy between computers on a network.