PDA

View Full Version : iPod Problem

willbry
16-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Without going into details, through doing something stupid , I lost all my music from my itunes library and in trying to restore it pressed a wrong button while having the iPod attached and lost everything off that as well. That's history. Since then I have built up a new fairly extensive music library. However an "expert" recently had a go at retrieving the original deleted material from my hard drive that had not been over-written and he has managed to get back back quite a lot of my original material but in doing so has got rid of my current iTunes library. I have been trying to reimport into my iPod the original material now in iTunes but I get this message when I try to do so.
<Your iPod is linked to another iTunes music library. Do you want to change the link to this iTunes music library and replace all existing playlists on this ipod with those from this library?>
It seems as though I am in a lose-lose situation.I can either import the current iTunes into my iPod and lose the existing iPod playlists or retain what is currently on my iPod and forget about importing all the music that has been restored into iTunes. Is there a way I can import the current iTunes into my Ipod without losing what is already on the iPod?
Sorry to be so complicated. but hope there is a way
Thanks
Willbry

Speedy Gonzales
16-04-2006, 04:04 PM
I would remove all MP3's and then use Winamp and its plugin, or get 5.21 of Winamp.

Or reset the Ipod, so everything gets erased. If you still have whatever MP3's.

Then copy them across again. Get rid of Itunes altogether.

willbry
16-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks S.G. It's an option I might have to look at although I would prefer to stick with iTunes if Ican

Speedy Gonzales
16-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Winamp 5.2+ has built in media player support for Ipods/creative and playsure devices.

It does exactly the same as Itunes (For MP3's), and not as big.

And the plugin you can use (which was done by the same guy, who decided to put the media player support in 5.2), lets u format, copy MP3's to the Ipod from the hdd, and MP3's from the Ipod back to the hdd.

I decided to ditch Itunes, after i got Winamp, and the plugin for Ipods.

About 5.5 mb compared to 30+ mb for Itunes. Just for the install file.

Thats if u dont use Itunes for podcasting, (there are free programs for this too), or buy MP3's thru Itunes.

maccrazy
16-04-2006, 07:39 PM
There is a piece of software that allows you to copy songs directly off your iPod (via the Finder or whatever Windows calls it's system). What I would do is use that piece of software to copy the songs off your iPod into a new folder somewhere on your hard drive. Then delete everything on your iPod, import the old music into iTunes and re-sync your iPod with it. :)

willbry
17-04-2006, 08:13 AM
That's interseting. Can you tell me what the particular software is called so I can get it. On the other hand I'm thinking of downloading the latest version of Winamp which S.G. highy recommends. thanks to you both for your suggestions

Speedy Gonzales
17-04-2006, 08:31 AM
The plugin for Winamp is here (http://mlipod.com/)

It was made, before they decided to put the media player support in Winamp.

Even tho 5.2 of Winamp, now supports some Media players, the Mlipod plugin does more at the mo. If you do install the Mlipod plugin, it'll disable the built in support. Until u uninstall the plugin, from within Winamp.

maccrazy
17-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Helpful article:http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/138629.html
Helpful application: http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/software/

(I haven't actually done this myself)

willbry
17-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Really appreciate your very useful helpful links. I'm staggered at the wealth of information you guys have at your fingertips. Cheers
willbry :

maccrazy
17-04-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm staggered that Google managed to put the information at my finger tips. ;)

ace317
26-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Hi. I'm actually in a similar situation where I'm not sure if my data is still in my ipod because i can't seem to access it in my computer. Says the drive is formatted. This "expert" of yours, what did he do to recover your files? It would be greatly appreciated.

winmacguy
26-12-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm staggered that Google managed to put the information at my finger tips. ;)

I never cease to be amazed at the wonders of Google.

Here is some other stuff that may be of use in this situation.
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/

Greg
26-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi. I'm actually in a similar situation where I'm not sure if my data is still in my ipod because i can't seem to access it in my computer. Sell it and buy a decent player, eg something by Creative.

winmacguy
26-12-2006, 02:32 PM
I get the feeling that Greg likes Creative more than he likes iPods.;)

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2006, 02:39 PM
You're just as bad as Winmacguy Greg!

If you don't know, don't reply to a post.

Greg
26-12-2006, 03:13 PM
You're just as bad as Winmacguy Greg!

If you don't know, don't reply to a post.Boo. Since when did knowledge ever get in the way of opinion!?? :D