PDA

View Full Version : A utility to clean up file association?

Kame
16-04-2006, 06:38 AM
I am after a tool to clean up file association. (they aren't invalid, just not the program I prefer to use).

Or another possibility is to remove every file association so that Windows can ask me which program to assign to that given file extension.

Reason being is I've had numerous programs claim file associations that when removed or another program installed which also handles it has been installed, I'm either left with the wrong program associated with that file extension.

Also they aren't invalid associations, otherwise that would have made it easier for me to clean, but the programs still exist, just I rather use a different program.

It's mostly my fault why Windows got like this, when installing programs they usually have a file association menu, which I bypass without reading it and only when I launch a program that does not load in my preferred application, that's when I know I stuffed it up.

I could just manually go through the whole lot, but there's quite a few I need to change, so I rather do it when it occurs or use a tool to quickly change them.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

KK

TeejayR
16-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Have you tried My Computer (or Windows Explorer) then the Tools, Folder Options, File Types menu options. This allows the deletion or changing of associations.

kjaada
16-04-2006, 07:01 AM
This may be usefull if you know what you are doing (Not for newbe's)
http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=1173
There are several utilities listed on Google.

Speedy Gonzales
16-04-2006, 07:35 AM
Or go back into the program/s , you've installed, (under its options / file associations menu), and hopefully they'll let u unselect the files, you dont want them to use.

Most programs have this option.