PDA

View Full Version : Would this work on a 98se

grandad w
15-04-2006, 02:38 PM
I have recentley seen/heard of these removable memories/drives that can be pluged into a USB slot and are capable of storing 1GB+

I am lead to believe that "any" computer will recognise them.

It would sure beat Floppies for a backup!!

Any advice and what is the recommended brand?

grandad w

FoxyMX
15-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Yes, a USB flash drive will be able to work on a Win 98 computer but it will need drivers installed for it to work.

For temporary storage and transferring files between computers they are fantastic but I would not really recommend using one for backing up important files.

beama
15-04-2006, 02:47 PM
before you buy ask the retailer

Unlike xp which will autodetect most usb devices 98 requires you to install drivers so if you do buy one ensure you get
a. a driver disk for the usb device or
b. a download site for the drivers and understand how to install them

If you are using 98 then I suspect that the computer you have will have usb 1.x. Most usb devices on the market today are usb 2 which is backwardly compatible with usb 1.x

Graham L
15-04-2006, 02:48 PM
They will work on a machine with W98SE. You will have to load a driver, so make sure you get a floppy or CD with it.

I can't advise on a brand: they all work. Some will last longer than others, and according to a test APC did, that doesn't necessariily correlate with price.

I'd avoid the very cheapest (especially if sold in a supermarket) and the most expensive (on principle). ;)

Peter H
15-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Yes - Best to buy a PCI to USB 2.0 card from Dick Smiths. Software supplied. I use a Sony Microvault, given away with my last PC World Sub - had to D/L drivers for this, but no hassles.

pctek
15-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Yes - Best to buy a PCI to USB 2.0 card from Dick Smiths. Software supplied. I use a Sony Microvault, given away with my last PC World Sub - had to D/L drivers for this, but no hassles.
Hang on. Its not the Operating System that determines whether he has USB 1 or 2. Its his hardware, specifically the motherboard.
Until fairly recently I was running Win98 on a PC which had 6 USB 2 ports.

Peter H
15-04-2006, 07:27 PM
OK I agree. I assummed that it was not the latest MB combo. I use a Soltek SL-75KAV, which is only USB 1.0 - Maybe Grandad has allready got USB 2. Just throwing in my 2 tuppence worth.

Graham L
18-04-2006, 01:52 PM
USB2 is quicker. But it might not be noticeably quicker on a USB memory stick. ;) USB1 is quite a lot quicker than the floppy interface.