PDA

View Full Version : external hdd

steamman
15-04-2006, 06:48 AM
Hi , I am toying with the idea of getting an external hdd,the thing is ,can it be just plugged into any usb socket or is there any special leads or peripiels needed??,I suppose I will to install an OS onto it,unless, I decide to dual boot it with win 98 and xp. The thing is can it be done. easily many thanks

The_End_Of_Reality
15-04-2006, 09:03 AM
External HDDs are great for transporting data, but they run on USB, or FireWire as far as I have seen.

They are very slow and I would not recommend booting from them.

It can be done BUT does your motherboard support boot from USB?

Why do you want to boot from it?

pctek
15-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi , I am toying with the idea of getting an external hdd,the thing is ,can it be just plugged into any usb socket

I suppose I will to install an OS onto it,unless, I decide to dual boot it with win 98 and xp. The thing is can it be done. easily many thanks
Yes.

Yes, but they are better used as backup drives rather than a drive you'd boot off. And it depends on your MB as to whether it supports booting off them.

heaton
16-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Some time ago I bought an external HD and as I am doing a lot of work with photos I not only have a complete back up of all my PC's HD but also keep all my photo's on this drive. Had a major crash last year and was able to restore all from my external HD. Comes up on my PC as Drive E and requires no other peripherals : just plugs into USB. :nerd:

steamman
16-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Many thanks to all the posts re this question. much obliged, it is good that one can ask and act on the help provided from forum members, again thanx. Fred