PDA

View Full Version : can xp be installed from a usb external cd/dvd rom?

Term_X
14-04-2006, 01:26 PM
the missus is trying to install (clean reinstall) xp from her xp cd, but the cd rom doesnt seem to be liking reading the cd, its not scratched but im sure its the cd writer. she also has an external dvd writer. can this be used to boot from?

during the normal install , it stalled halfway through saying "please enter cd windows xp etc etc" , we eject the cd and then put it back in.. then it reads a few more files ok.. then same thing.. then got to.. a message along the lines of "serious error" and rebooted.. and gets stuck in the same place.. i noticed it still shows the external dvdrw drive letter in the dropbox when it asks to insert cd.. does that mean i can actually boot from the external drive? i thought because it doesnt show in the bios this cant be done . i remember in my own pc , i had 2 cd drives on the secondary controller , install couldnt see the slave drive

help much appreciated :-)

Term X

Happy Easter Yalls

Speedy Gonzales
14-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Some systems if the USB 2 is onboard, and the device is plugged in may get recognised if the mobo supports booting from external USB.

If it doesnt get recognised in the BIOS, (depends on where you're looking), you maybe looking in the wrong place.

It maybe getting detected under the USB entry in the BIOS. I know on this system the USB devices I plug in appear under the USB / removable disk / mass storage device entry in the BIOS.

beama
14-04-2006, 01:59 PM
there is another way, if you can get the cd to read long enough, boot with 98 boot disk with cdrom support, copy the I386 folder (installation files for xp) from the cd to the hard drive then cd directory to i386 folder then type in winnt.exe (that should start the installer for xp).