PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Wireless & Ethernet connections

jamesyboi
14-04-2006, 01:12 PM
I have a computer and my brother has a computer. we share broadband on a dse router on windows xp professional. today we have two laptops. one connected via ethernet. and another one not connected at all. We can get internet on the ethernet connected laptop but we can't get file sharing in the MSHOME workgroup thing...we tried adding new connection and stuff. it shows up in the mshome workgroups list. as 'jodie' but when i click on it it cannot be accessesd. teh same is for the person using the laptop. we want to set up file sharing on them. but for some reason. even after setting it up it wont work. and also we want to use the wireless networking to get broadband on the other laptop via the laptop with ethernet. how do we do this?!? reply quick please :D

Speedy Gonzales
14-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Well, unless both have wireless or ethernet the one with only wireless wont be able to get connected / or share files with the one thats only got ethernet (if it doesnt have wireless onboard).

Both will have to have ethernet or both will have to have wireless onboard.

heni72847
14-04-2006, 06:08 PM
if both have wlan then you probably want to try something called ad hoc
that can let your two notebooks connect together wirelessly

then if you bridge your lan with wlan on notebook connected to the dse router
then the other notebook should be able to get onto the net through ad hoc --> bridge --> lan --> router-->internet

never done this myself..correct me if i'm wrong