PDA

View Full Version : Modem Headache

tojira
12-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Well after formatting our hard drive and reinstalling windows we found that it could not find any drivers for our modem (we're still on 56k), nor did we have any driver CDs. To make it worse the add hardware wizard after coming up with nothing asked me if I would "like to connect to the internet and search for drivers" >_>.

Anyway I eventually got around to installing the modem from our older computer and using that one's driver CD. So it installed all well and good and I can connect now (as you can see with me posting this), however even after connecting the modem continues to generate the same loud screeching noise you would hear as the modem finishes connecting. The noise doesn't go away until I disconnect and it is driving me mad!

I have no idea why it's doing this, I've tried turning off/turning down the modem speaker, and tried adding some sort of command I found on some site but none of this has made even the slightest difference. Anyone have any ideas as to what causes this constant screeching sound? Thanks! >_>

pctek
12-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Faulty?
Reinstall the other one.
On the main chip on the modem will be a model number. Go to www.driverguide.com and do a search for that particular model of modem, and get the drivers for your particular Operating System - XP, 98, ME etc etc.

tojira
13-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Hi, it can't be faulty as it worked absolutely fine in our older computer. Good point about the drivers though, I haven't tried the latest, I'll give them a go right now :).