PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 7000 driving me crazy!

JdwPom
12-04-2006, 05:58 PM
I swear this is going to be the last time I volunteer to fix a mate's computer...

This guy's just installed a Radeon 7000, but we can't seem to convince the ATI control center, or the screen for that matter, that the card exists.

Device manager is showing the existence of drivers, along with the good old on-board graphics card, so by my theory the card should be working beautifully, but no, it isn't.

I've taken the monitor out of it's current plug and thrown it into the one out the back of the Radeon card, but to no avail, it just looks at me with that 'I'm confused' look. Should I disable the onboard graphics to get something out of the card? In my experience this isn't a requirement, and I'm terrified to do so in case I can no longer see a thing, permanently.

HELP!!!

I promise never to bother you guys with my hilarious attempts at fixing other people's computers, ever again, I'll stick to my own from now on, and promise to make this my last port of call when stuck from now on if you can fix this problem.

JdwPom
12-04-2006, 06:29 PM
After a little tweaking (and sobering up) (we tend to do this sort of thing with a little booze in us, me and the boys) we've found that even though device manager has realised that the card exists, the ATI control center error message contains a small note about nbeing unable to find an ATI device driver loaded.

That's right kids, always read your error messages before posting on PressF1...

If this helps anybody with a diagnosis, then hurry up and reply. By the way, I got WinXP Home on this bad boy.

gibler
12-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Using the latest drivers from ATI?

Installed your latest motherboard drivers?

Alcohol and computers really don't mix..... ;)

Pete O'Neil
13-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Are you using the latest ATI drivers? I'd probably try and hunt down some older drivers to use with that card, its pretty old. Even better do you have the driver cd that came with the card?

You'll need to hunt round in the BIOS and set the AGP card to your primary display, for what youve said i gather that when you plug the monitor into the 7000 you dont get an image?

JdwPom
26-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Dead on the money. Using driver that came with cd, but scared to use it as Windows still refuses to notice the driver's existence, so I don't really want to go switching off the onboard display until I'm dead certain it's going to work.

Now just to show how truly clueless I am, if I set the default in the BIOS to be the AGP card (actually, we bought PCI, but either way..) will we still be able to change this setting if it doesn't work? Will the onboard take over and be useable? Does it just pump out an image through both cards to allow for this situation?

All I have to say is I'm glad it's not my pc I'm mucking with lol

pctek
26-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Dead on the money. Using driver that came with cd, but scared to use it as Windows still refuses to notice the driver's existence, so I don't really want to go switching off the onboard display until I'm dead certain it's going to work.l
You have to. ITs not going to work with the onboard enabled in the BIOS, it will keep trying to use that instead.
Turn it off and install new drivers for the 7000.

SolMiester
26-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Now just to show how truly clueless I am, if I set the default in the BIOS to be the AGP card (actually, we bought PCI, but either way..)

So, whats the new card, AGP or PCIe?