PDA

View Full Version : Security Cam with "video in" pc connection?

J ZEP
12-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi, i was wondering if anybody could tell me if this is a possibility - our security cams usually plug straight into the "video in" on a tv or vcr then are picked up by changing to AV Channel on the tv.
Is it a remote possiblitly that i can plug the cam into my Graphics card/pc - which has an adapter plug for rca/s video? in? I am guessing i would still need drivers, which of course it doesn't come with, and cams instructions have no reference to plugging into a pc... Also i presume the AV channel part would be a problem with a pc? Just interested if there are any options available here, as i am pretty novice when it comes to tv/digital frequencies etc... and workings.
My guess is we need the usb, firewire or wireless model of cam - but thought it might be worth checking here just in case.

The cam has just the yellow rca plug and the power - very simple setup.

Graphics card is - Radeon 9600 pro, 256mb and the cam is one of

These (http://www.swann.com.au/show_item.php?item=62)

Tia

godfather
12-04-2006, 05:59 PM
If your video card is ViVo (Video In Video Out) it would work, but many cards are just Video Out with no video capture capability.

Certainly works here on my MX460 card, which also had all the required drivers.

The 9600 pro probably comes in varying flavours, but some may have ViVo

Speedy Gonzales
12-04-2006, 06:03 PM
If you had a program that could capture the video it'd work.

Or if you had something like a tv tuner with video in with a program (like the leadek tuners, and others, it'll also work).

I dont think you'll need drivers for it, as the videocard drivers would deal with that.

Or something like this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/443c971805e5d3aa273fc0a87f990712/Product/View/L5907)

J ZEP
12-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the replies, GF & Speedy. GF, I have a feeling that your right about the video in,video out, as i had been through the manual earlier and can't find a reference to anything but adding monitors, tvs etc... I have 3 connections on the actual graphics card - Monitor vga connection, S-Video connection and DVI connection, along with some adapter plugs to use with them too.
I tried plugging it in earlier, it plugs in fine using the s-video with the adapter to rca. But i can't see it using Nero vision or anything like that - which i presume i would, also doesn't show up/detect anywhere? Should i see it under "My computer" as camera?? Or device manager?.

So basically i need a capture card or graphics card with ViVo, would that be the general consensus then?

Speedy Gonzales
12-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Nerovision would need something with a driver, like a digital cam, or a dv cam. So, it could detect it / show you whatever on its screen.

Either a capture card, or a tv tuner, which usually comes with a program to switch to cvbs / s-video (like the leadtek tuner cards).. usually works.

Which will show whatever is plugged into its video in, and it'll also let u schedule from the tv side, as well as external / the s-video / cbvs connection.

Usually with XP, if its a cam / or even a dv cam an icon, will appear in My computer for it, and it'll usually appear as a removable disk. The digital cam here requires a driver, whereas the firewire dv cam does not. XP detects it no prob at all. However, Windows 2k doesnt.

roddy_boy
12-04-2006, 06:48 PM
The s-video would be an output, so even if you used the adaptor to convert to an RCA plug/socket, it still only functions as an output.

Yep, you're correct, if you want to use the video out on the camera, you need a tv card or a vivo graphics card.

J ZEP
12-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys, i had a feeling it was going to be a non event from the beginning, with the hardware i have, ;). In hindsight, i now remember that the card that had the ViVo was my old nvidia, which i installed in my godsons system as an upgrade to his old one, when i upgraded to the Radeon... I will probably look at getting a tv card or tuner eventually :).

Thanks