PDA

View Full Version : Issues w/ running SATA with IDE ATA...

CWell1337
11-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Ok. I run Windows XP Pro and recently aquired a 160GB SATA to go with my 80GB Barracuda (IDE 10,000 RPMs). Ran fine for about a week with SATA as Master with OS on it and IDE for data storage.

Then yesterday I restarted and on restart received the following message:

NTLDR missing.
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

So obviously I wanted to fix this without having to reinstal my OS. I put the Windows XP Pro dosk in and ran a recovery so I could copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files from the disc back onto my SATA. This resolved the situation until the next time I had to reboot. Then I had to repeat the process and rebuild my boot configuration (bootcfg /rebuild in the recovery console) to get my computer to boot Windows.

Now no matter what I do upon turning my computer on it always says:

NTLDR missing.

and there is nothing I can do to fix this problem.

So what I did was break down and reinstall Windows on the SATA. Any guesses what the result was?

NOTHING! Same message upon restart. So out of curiosity I pulled the IDE out of the computer and tried turning the computer on and it booted and loaded the OS beautifully. Put the IDE back in, same error message as before.

Maybe I did something wrong and someone will let me know. If not, I thought that people should know that there are compatability issues with the two drives while running Windows XP Pro.

Speedy Gonzales
11-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Did you change the bootdisk in the BIOS to the SATA?

Have you configured the BIOS?

Nothing wrong with having a SATA and IDE hdd, on the same system, if both are onboard... I use a 120GB SATA and an 80 GB as a spare hdd here. BOTH work fine.

I would check the power connector / data cable going to the SATA.

The cable for this is flimsy, and can come out pretty easily.

Skinnerjack
11-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Place a new CMOS Battery in the machine,
check that BIOS states the first bootdisk to be the sata drive.
make sure the sata cable/s is/are firmly on (carefully!)

Skinnerjack
11-04-2006, 03:03 PM
ps make sure there is no floppy disk in drive A:

cpg
13-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Then yesterday I restarted and on restart received the following message:

NTLDR missing.

Ah, I had this problem last year on a spare machine I was re-building for use on a rainy day, it drove me crazy reinstalling the OS, etc, until eventually I discovered the fault..... one of the RAM sticks had developed an intermittant fault. So my advice is to swap out your RAM. Let us know how you get on.

Trev
13-04-2006, 02:58 PM
A friend of mine had the same problem with a Gigabyte MB and found that the bios had become corrupt. Could not even flash it. ONly solution was to buy a new Asus MB and now has no problems.

Trevor :)

Greven
13-04-2006, 03:21 PM
I thought that was what the gigabyte dualbios was for - if something went wrong with the primary one, switch to the secondry one.