PDA

View Full Version : problem with orcon 2mb speed

jesse_jax
10-04-2006, 06:43 PM
ok, first things first, i USE to have 256k jet stream, i then moved to orcon when i moved and got the ''2mb'' plan, well, its more like the 512k plan because thats the speed i get, when i download something thru ie or firefox, it idles around 60kbps or less, if i use internet download manager which does multiple connections i download at about 250kbps+, can someone please tell me why this is? its really annoying that i am paying for 2mb and not really recieving it, i mean the multiple connections thing doesnt take affect when loading pages on websites etc so i am only getting the multi connections on certain downloads(not all websites allow there downloads to be multi connectioned). anyway, did i not install something right when i got my 2mb or something? my mates who live about 10 mins walk from my house download at 250+ with no extra programs etc and there with xtra, on 2mb. ive had this problem since ive had ''2mb'' with orcon and i really wanna get it fixed SOON. thanks

Kame
10-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Well, at least they aren't lying with speeds of up to.

But yea, it's not good, if they're going to have 2Mbps and 3.5Mbps then there should be a noticable difference. Some have 3.5Mbps that runs like it's at 1Mbps so it's quite unfair to think you're paying more but still not even achieving the full potential of it.

There's many factors that can suggest why your performance is not that great, distance from the exchange, how the ratio is to that exchange, e.g. is it 50:1 meaning 50 people all shared on the 1 connection, is it what telecom had suggested changing it to, 150:1 where you share it with 150 people. Being overloaded means you'll never reach those speeds, you may have better chances at off-peak times, but I think that's what everyone is thinking so you might not.

Line conditions can cause subtle problems too, and anything in between. Running an extension lead, that could lower performance, incorrect filter use or faulty filters, that can lower it. There's so much that could do this, including where you're downloading from, and how good is your connection to that place, you might do better trying another location if possible.

Cheers,

KK

jesse_jax
11-04-2006, 03:50 PM
yeah how can i find out how far i am from the exchange, what the ratio is etc? is it possible to get this ratio changed? i do use an phone extension cord for my comp, but i got the same ping when my comp was plugged straut into the phone jack. so anyway, id just like to know how far i am from the exchange and what the ratio is and if i can change it, thanks

Speedy Gonzales
11-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Ring Orcon, or Telecom.

pctek
11-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Its Telecom.
I'll save you some talk time, this is what they made me do:

3 times a day for 3 days do this speed test:

www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed using the 500Kb test.

Also do it with this username in your router:
Username: user@jetstreamgames.co.nz
Password: abc123

Then email the lot to:

adsl_helpdesk@xtra.co.nz

They are "looking onto the problems a few users are experiencing on an individual basis".

jesse_jax
11-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Ring Orcon, or Telecom.
OH WOW, thanks man, thats all the info i ever need, i clearly havnt done that at least 10 times and just been disconnected while being on hold for 3 hours or when there ''transfering'' me.

Its Telecom.
I'll save you some talk time, this is what they made me do:

3 times a day for 3 days do this speed test:

www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed using the 500Kb test.

Then email the lot to:

adsl_helpdesk@xtra.co.nz

They are "looking onto the problems a few users are experiencing on an individual basis".

THANK YOU, really. you ACTUALLY helped, ill do what j00 said, hopfully telecom will be able to fix teh connection, yeah? ;D

also, for ''Also do it with this username in your router:
Password: abc123'' where do i put that? i assume 10.1.1.1?

roddy_boy
11-04-2006, 07:23 PM
lol @ j00.

Yes, in your router's configuration page, which is obviously 10.1.1.1 for you.Also make sure you kill all bandwidth using programs when you do the test, especially torrent programs etc.

jesse_jax
11-04-2006, 09:23 PM
i would have never thought...maybe thats why my internet has been going so slow...i have 80 torrents constantly uploading and downloading, as well as limewire, kazaa, and 5 other p2ps going in the back round+msn,yahoo, and my counter strike game server, ya rekon it might speed up if i get rid of a few?

(jokes in case ya didnt realise, lol, of course i dont have anything like torrents or p2ps going in backround)

The_End_Of_Reality
11-04-2006, 09:34 PM
So do they charge you for that or something, some sort of limit?

jesse_jax
12-04-2006, 04:51 PM
yeah i was wondering that..

yzhu
12-04-2006, 05:01 PM
yeah i was wondering that..
The only website you can visit when logged in as user@jetstreamgames.co.nz is the jetstreamgames (http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz) website.

That's why the speed test is located on that site
http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed

pctek
12-04-2006, 05:02 PM
So do they charge you for that or something, some sort of limit?
No.
Its their server for gaming, using this username is meant to give you the full 8Mbps or whatever maximum you are able to achieve, thats why they want you to try it on this as well - in case its related to your specific username.
So they said anyway.
Don't expect a fast reply though - I'm still waiting for mine to be sorted, they just keep telling me the tech team is working on it.
Theres a lot of people with the same problem, with various ISPs.
And make sure you note down the case number they give you - so you can pester them every now and then.

PaulD
12-04-2006, 05:46 PM
I do recall playing with Win 98 and ADSL and the standard TCP-IP settings aren't ideal for a single download on full rate Jetstream. Perhaps some migrating from 256K plans are having similar problems.

jesse_jax
12-04-2006, 07:50 PM
The only website you can visit when logged in as user@jetstreamgames.co.nz is the jetstreamgames (http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz) website.

That's why the speed test is located on that site
http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed

nope, i downloaded some stuff with it last night, from a few differnet websites(rapidshare.de, megashares, filefront). i also played some cod2 and other games, it doesnt limit you at all, i stopped using it cause i thought i might get in ****, but yeah, it didnt change my speed at all, i get same ping, same download speeds etc

note: the bandwidth usage meter on orcons site didnt add what i had downloaded with that acc, so i was definitly not using MY acc.

The_End_Of_Reality
12-04-2006, 09:14 PM
No.
Its their server for gaming, using this username is meant to give you the full 8Mbps or whatever maximum you are able to achieve, thats why they want you to try it on this as well Oh ok, then what happens if everyone starts using this to DL?
also the new Xtra Games, does that cost?

jesse_jax
12-04-2006, 09:17 PM
i dunno, but i think we should all stop talkin in this thread so it goes away quick and we can all use this to download...hehehhe

na i dunno, i guess theyd shut it down if everyone started using it to download..

pctek
12-04-2006, 11:10 PM
I do recall playing with Win 98 and ADSL and the standard TCP-IP settings aren't ideal for a single download on full rate Jetstream.
Its not anything to do with that.

Greven
12-04-2006, 11:32 PM
That account used to only be able to access the jetstreamgames site & servers, but since all that is left of jetstreamgames is the speedtest, that would make the account rather useless

jesse_jax
14-04-2006, 05:39 PM
so i wont be charged in my phone bill if i download 50gb's with that user@jetstreamgames acc?

The_End_Of_Reality
14-04-2006, 06:00 PM
so i wont be charged in my phone bill if i download 50gb's with that user@jetstreamgames acc? LOL, what will you DL that totals 50Gb? :D

jesse_jax
14-04-2006, 06:16 PM
legal things, of course... >.>