PDA

View Full Version : Broadband plans - Upload speeds

pikiaoboy
10-04-2006, 12:54 PM
I am currently with Slingshot, and they like the other ISPs are bringing out the new Broadband plans (or have done so already). What I have noticed however is that all these plans increase the DL speed but dont really touch the upload speeds (there are plans offered but for alot more $$).

What I want to know is why there seems to be more emphasis on increasing the D/L speeds for users? Personally, I wouldnt mind an increase in my U/L speed, as 2Mb to 3.5Mb isnt that significant for me (while I am surfing, its at peak hours so my downloads never went higher than 70KB/s, off peak it was alot better).

Is there a financial reason why Telecom doesnt want to increase the upload speed of users? I wouldnt think they would mind so much, as it would affect the users quota and so they would get more money out of it (the 2c a MB over or whatever the rate is)....

Greven
10-04-2006, 01:27 PM
A lot of popular websites & downloads (over http or ftp, not p2p) are cached in NZ so the ISPs don't have to pay for international bandwidth when you download them. Other people here know more about it than me.

MikeHP
10-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Increasing the upload speeds would make it more viable for users to get more out of their connection using VoIP instead of paying telecom for the voice calls.

That in my opinion is the financial reason for not increasing uploads.

Kame
10-04-2006, 03:25 PM
I think biggest concerns is VoIP which Telecom would hate to allow, losing a lot of revenue from this. Everything Telecom is doing, is for business interest only, they will continue trying to make the Commerce Commission wear a blindfold while they choke NZ'ers.

Other concerns would be HTTP, FTP, etc services being allowed.

One problem I have is I have machines all over the place, and I use remote administration to work on them, and upload speed is definitely a requirement, but being at 128Kbps I'd save myself the long waits by driving to each location, it's a pity petrol prices doesn't make this worth the effort.

I know companies over in Fiji, who use VoIP and video conferencing to make contact with NZ and their internet is way more expensive than ours but at least they have those abilities and find it cheaper than holding a meeting in NZ and paying for board members to fly to that meeting. I wonder how Telecom board members are doing, and how much they're enjoying their luxuries.

KK

maccrazy
10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
I think biggest concerns is VoIP which Telecom would hate to allow, losing a lot of revenue from this. Everything Telecom is doing, is for business interest only, they will continue trying to make the Commerce Commission wear a blindfold while they choke NZ'ers.I agree and that is reasonable, they are a business after all, but I believe it will come back to bite them in the end as it encourages other companies to fill in the gap created in the market. At the moment Woosh doesn't exactly have the capacity to be a realistic competitor, but as wireless technology evolves over the next few years I think they will be forced to offer reasonable upload speeds or they will start loosing customers.

Kame
10-04-2006, 09:35 PM
It can only bite them if the government pulls finger.

Telecom owns all the lines, they aren't allowing competition, Telstra would have brought cable to all of New Zealand if they could, but they saw in the short term, that what they had done is costing them more.

If the local loop unbundling takes place, that opens up competition, because those who can't compete economically, would be able to now, but why would Telecom try to stand up against that and lose out (going by statistics however, if their reputation is strong, they don't lost out, and that's what I think would happen), they probably know they can't take hold this off much longer, but as long as they spend more resources into doing this, rather than co-operating they'll carry it on as long as they can, but at least they know they can still squeeze as much as they can out of our small country.

Telecom did not even meet it's demand of providing 250,000 broadband users did it? I thought that was the arrangement, if they met that, LLU would not go ahead, they never did met that, and I doubt anyone would have gave them an extension. So why was this overlooked?

And as for OECD, why did we do so poorly, the technology that was used for Lord of the Rings was amazing and Telecom helped out in a huge way, that if we had that, we'd be higher in the ranks, as far as I know, there's only roughly 30 countries on that list and we came in the 20+ area.

Cheers,

KK

Big John
11-04-2006, 01:53 PM
And as for OECD, why did we do so poorly, the technology that was used for Lord of the Rings was amazing and Telecom helped out in a huge way, that if we had that, we'd be higher in the ranks, as far as I know, there's only roughly 30 countries on that list and we came in the 20+ area.

That is a one off thing and if you have plenty of money you too can get a very high speed connection in both directions. Full Jetstream does this but it costs big bucks to most people. The film industry has the big bucks so don't care what they pay.

You and I just want a good speed for a decent price.