PDA

View Full Version : Unusual files in Windows folder

Lynda_Waiheke
09-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi, I went into the Window folder in Explorer (XP Prof) to delete the Temp files and found a great long list of folders all starting with $NtUninstallKB then about 6 numbers, different on each folder. there must be at least 20 folders. I've never seen them before. Does anyone have any idea what they might be? I feel the urge to delete them but maybe they belong to something and should actually be there. Thanks. :) Cheers Lynda

Scouse
09-04-2006, 12:25 PM
hi Lynda. Those are the uninstall files for Windows Updates. If you are happy with the way the updates are working and certain you don't need to uninstall an update then go ahead and delete the files. After deleting them, you can also delete their associated entries in Add or Remove etc. They tend to build up after a while. I tend to dump them.

Overdrive_5000
09-04-2006, 12:26 PM
They are from Windows updates you can delete them if you are sure you wont need to uninstall any of the windows updates

HTH :thumbs:

Overdrive_5000
09-04-2006, 12:28 PM
You bet me to it Scouse :lol:

gcarmich
These folders are created by windows update patches to allow you to remove them if they cause problems, I'd leave them alone unless you a desperate for disk space. There is a service pack one as well $NtServicePackUninstall.

Hopefully you are on service pack 2 and have all the updates installed. If not you should do so ASAP.

Scouse
Snap. :rolleyes: