PDA

View Full Version : Computer restarting way through Video Encode?!

Timmy19
08-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Hey ... problem is ... encoding an avi file into a dvd compatible format is all good usually! ... a week ago randomly my computer would restart by itself way through! Pain as i can not get one done at all now...

Any thoughts!

Speedy Gonzales
08-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Whats the system/CPU?

Amount of ram you're using?

What program are you using? Whats the DVD burner?

If you're using XP, right mouse on My computer / properties / advanced / settings under startup and recovery.

Untick automatically restart. Then when it crashes next time, it may tell u what file is causing the crashing.

Timmy19
08-04-2006, 05:28 PM
ok running winxp home .... cpu Athlon 2800+
ram = 1gb ddr 333
hdd 2 x Seagate 80 gb
dvd burner = pioneer DL + - 16 x
program NeroVision 4

haha hope i answered everything

Speedy Gonzales
08-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Hmm, I would untick automatically restart, as in my previous post.

The next time it crashes, see if it comes up with a BSOD with the name of a file.

Does it crash any other time, besides when u use Nerovision??

If Nero is installed (what version of Nero is installed)?? Run Nero infotool and look under the configuration tab. Is the DVD burner on PIO or DMA mode?

Timmy19
08-04-2006, 06:01 PM
hey its nero 7 .... it is on everything DMA on

it doesnt crash any other time ... as far as i hav noticed ..

otherwise i would put it to an overheating or psu problem mabye

pctek
08-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Hey ... problem is ... encoding an avi file into a dvd compatible format is all good usually! ... a week ago randomly my computer would restart by itself way through!
Got plenty of room left on the drive/partition you are using for this?
Drive is in NTFS format?

gcarmich
08-04-2006, 06:53 PM
It could still be the processor overheating, if your bios has the facility check the temp before you start encoding and after a crash. Its possible that the processor and case fans need to be cleaned.

Speedy Gonzales
08-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Yup, I would check and see what the hdd is formatted in.

FAT32, or NTFS.

And how big are the AVI files you're trying to burn?

Are they bigger than 4 GB?

Timmy19
08-04-2006, 09:05 PM
ok starting with drive ... 60 gb free with only windows and some components installed ....

bios does have pc health statistics feature and after crash the cpu is running at temp 63-69 degrees C.

The avi files are between 400 -900 mb in size so not that large.

Metla
08-04-2006, 10:08 PM
To see if its heat releated, Remove the side of the case, point a room fan at it, Crank up the app.

To see if its Nero, Download a trial version of one of the Ulead products and have a stab.

To see if its power related, Unplug your optical drives and yank out any PCI cards you can live without for a couple of hours.

And do the usual, Check your event log, defrag your HD, run memtest 86 to stress test your ram, remove unneeded items frm startup, Go into power management and ensure stanby,hibernation, and shutting down the harddrives are all OFF.

Delete any and all project/temp/cache files that Nero maybe generating.