PDA

View Full Version : New broadband speeds and peering

Misty
05-04-2006, 09:22 PM
You will know by this question that I am not very knowledgeable in some (lots?) of areas. What I would like to know is whether the new broadband speeds from particularly Telecom will have any effect on peering ?
Misty :confused:

stu161204
05-04-2006, 09:55 PM
What peering, LOL!, Telecom/ Xtra Does not peer with any NZ ISP so it wont effect the new broadband speeds.

I Hope this answers your question :)

apparition
05-04-2006, 10:01 PM
My ISP peers with a number of others and today my new speed kicked in and as far as I know the only change has been the speed.

Although when I use http://speedtest.co.nz the fastest speeds come off servers that I'm pretty sure my ISP peers with.

My ISP (xnet.co.nz) is one of those with free national traffic.

Hitech
05-04-2006, 10:06 PM
I think she means file sharing peering as in music downloads she wants to know will her music download any faster, yes it will.

Misty
05-04-2006, 10:27 PM
she
Whoa, whoa - you will get Mrs Misty confused - she thinks that I am a hairy barbarian ! :eek: :groan:

Yes, I do mean music downloads. Because of cutting off past peering arrangements by Telecom, "Cool Blue" internet radio station based in good old NZ has to send their traffic through Australia to get back to users in NZ. This results in streaming that is less than optimum and a song will have a number of one/two second breaks along the way which does rather spoil the effect !!
Misty :( :mad: