PDA

View Full Version : Webcam refusing to work

csinclair83
05-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Went to use my webcam last night, but instead of displaying picture, its showing a bright blue screen...

Its been working perfectly until i installed leadtek winfast 2000xp tv tuner, so i dont really know if its a conflict of interest or something....and is there a way to overcome this as i really want to keep using both these hardware...

Am using windows xp...

Webcam is a gsmart mini one...
and tv tuner is what i wrote above :)

I look forward to some replies in how to fix this...

thanks in advance :)

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2006, 07:23 PM
If you're using MSN or Yahoo, go into the prefs and change the cam to the webcam.

It may have defaulted to the tuner, since it is also a capture card.

You cant use both in the one program (MSN or Yahoo). It's either one or the other.

csinclair83
05-04-2006, 07:26 PM
thanks for your reply...

the selection is greyed out, it wont let me change the settings so its a webcam...but i can see that its picked up the tv tuner as capture card...

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2006, 07:33 PM
What program are you using? MSN, Yahoo, or something else?

csinclair83
05-04-2006, 07:34 PM
i only use my webcam with msn, but i tried changing in both msn and yahoo, no luck there.

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2006, 07:47 PM
In MSN go to tools / audio and video settings.

Click on next a few times.

When u get to the webcam setup screen, where it says select webcam, change it to the webcam. If the webcam doesnt appear, turn it on , or whatever you do to use it. Thats it.

In Yahoo, go to prefs / webcam / camera settings / camera source. And select the webcam.

If this is greyed out, turn the cam on first and select my webcam under the messenger menu. Before you go to webcam settings.

csinclair83
05-04-2006, 07:58 PM
still greyed out...
I even restarted computer, turned webcam on before signing in msn/yahoo...
both are all greyed out....

i also tried using the photoveiwer that came with the webcam, and it DOES pick up the camera....

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Try another USB port. Thats how I do it here. Cant think of anything to tell you.

BUT did you go to the messenger menu / my webcam and select it??

What appears, a blank window?

csinclair83
05-04-2006, 08:06 PM
done everything you've said...
tried 3 different USB ports..

what appears is just a bright blue screen...kinda like the blue screen of death..

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2006, 08:12 PM
I would say you havent turned the switch over on the cam.

To use it as a webcam. In Yahoo.

Its either that or you havent switched it on and selected my webcam, so u get a picture first then go to prefs / webcam / camera settings / camera source.

You have to do this first, BEFORE u go to camera source.

Once the pic comes up (or whatever comes up), go to camera source, it should then let u change it from the tuner to the webcam (it wont be ghosted).

csinclair83
05-04-2006, 08:17 PM
that didnt work,
what i've done is i went to hardware devices by right clicking on computer, and i disabled the winfast video capture....and now the webcam works perfectly....

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Hmm ok..

Well it should work and let you change whatever so you can use the webcam.

As you know, I've got the same tuner as you, and a creative cam/webcam, and the cam works fine in MSN and Yahoo.

Disabling it, you wont be able to use the tuner.

csinclair83
05-04-2006, 08:29 PM
its ok not using the tuner when I use webcam, so it should be ok for now, its probably just the type of webcam i have...its been a pain in the butt not just this once, so yeah, but thanks very much for your help :)

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2006, 08:33 PM
No worries, umm the only thing is you'll have to enable / disable the tuner everytime you want to use it. Or use MSN, or Yahoo.

Disabling it, also disables it from being used with the PVR program.