PDA

View Full Version : MS Word macro file name

gibbonz
05-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Hopefully someone can assist me with the file name that stores macro's in M S Word. My partner works for an organisation that manages macros, after some hours writing macros, the IT updated the file as it contains Memos, letterheads etc and downloaded it to each PC logged on to the network.... and alas no private macros anywhere.

Local user files are stored on the local HDD, NOT on the organisation network.

I hope we can save the Macro file "safely" and replace the destroyed file when those "caring IT people update it.

Thanks in anticipation.

GibboNZ

Antmannz
05-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Word macros are usually stored in the same file as the document itself. So, move the file and the macro goes with it.

However, your partner may have unknowingly written the macros in the Normal.dot file, which is the template Word uses when creating new documents. If this is the case, then the macro will currently only be residing on your partner's PC.

Parry
05-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Yes I agree with Antmannz that it's likely that the code was in Normal.dot. If the IT dept made changes to Word they may have replaced this file. Do a search on the PC for Normal.dot and hopefully you will find the correct one.

Because of the nature of this file if theres any problems with Word you often fix the problem by deleting the file. If I was writing code for Word I would use an add-in or separate template and back up the files. Of course hindsight wont help now.