PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Sky Decoder to Computer

Tedthebear
05-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Hey

I have a leadtek TV2000XP tuner card installed in my computer and have finally worked out how to connect it up to the Sky Digital decoder via the Scart to S-Video adapter. The Yellow/red/white cables are still plugged into the tv. This produces nice enough quality on the computer but obviously there isn't any sound on the computer when viewing the tv picture as I can't work out exactly what type of cord I need for that. I'm assuming the output source is the orange "mono" thing alongside the yellow/red/white ones, and as far as I can work out I have to connect that somehow into the blue input on my onboard sound. Could someone plz clarify exactly what type of cable I use to do this? The orange output seems the same shape etc as the yellow/red/white alongside and likewise the blue input seems to take a slightly longer plug like the pink and green ones alongside it. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but the range of cords is very confusing.

Thanks
Tedthebear

Hitech
05-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Just use the same color cords you are using for the sound now it makes no difference the mono socket is orange so it can be identified as a mono source it should still work when you plug it in to your blue socket on your pc, just go to dick smith and buy a longer lead they dont cost much,Hope this helps.

Tedthebear
05-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Um I'm not using any cords for the sound at the moment. I just have the standard green speaker plug that came with the computer. I've never used the blue input for anything. They are obviously two different plugs at the ends of the required cord as the Sky Decoder output ones are slightly shorter and fatter than the comp ones.

Anyway what I actually want to know is what would the cord I need be called-length isn't any issue as they are alongside each other. I've pored over the DSE site and some others but there are so many types it's very confusing.

Tukapa
05-04-2006, 11:50 AM
From memory you need to have a cable plugged from your audio out on your soundcard into the audio in on your TV card. It comes with a cord (blue one end and green the other) for this purpose.

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2006, 12:16 PM
You would need something like this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4432fd0601f7b46a2740c0a87f9906e5/Product/View/C1240)

If the decoder has RCA audio outputs. Depending on which tuner you've got, the Expert, since it doesnt have line in from the outside, the audio out would go from the decoder to line in on the soundcard.

If u use the Deluxe, since it has Line In and out on the back of it, line out from the tuner would go to line in on the soundcard. With something like this (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4432fd0601f7b46a2740c0a87f9906e5/Product/View/C0589)

And Audio out from the decoder would go to line in on the tuner (blue socket).

SolMiester
05-04-2006, 01:43 PM
OP, just tell DSE that you need a cable FROM RCA male to (so female cable) to male 3.5mm jack....

csinclair83
05-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Hey tedthebear...(or anyone else that knows how)

I was going to make a post about connecting sky decoder to PC, as I recently brought the Deluxe version of leadtek winfast tv tuners...
Can you give me step by step instructions how to do it? As i couldnt figure it out how to do it....I dont really need to worry about sound as I'm deaf, so yea :)
I would really appreciate your help,
Thanks in advance :)

Chris

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2006, 07:30 PM
You need an adapter for the tuner like a pin din adapter to RCA adapter.

If the video / whatever uses RCA plugs for Video / Audio out.

The audio out goes from the decoder whatever to line in on the tuner as stated in my previous post.

And to record u can use the PVR program from the Leadtek site (altho, the latest version is a bit screwed, as stated in a post I've posted here).

Change the video to CVBS I think it is. Then it'll record video and sound.

Tedthebear
05-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks Speedy. I have the Expert version so has to plug from the decoder into the sound card line in. Appreciate your help :)