PDA

View Full Version : Printing in Linux

apparition
03-04-2006, 11:06 AM
I have been running Ubuntu for a few weeks now and I have since brought a new printer (Epson CX3700).

My problem is that for the first time I am having trouble printing in linux. I guess this is the first time I couldn't just use a generic series driver.

I have managed to get drivers installed (Epson makeS linux drivers) and I have the printer recognised but when I try printing it just shows "printing" next to the print job in the jobs list. When I get the printer properties it says status printing: starting ghostscript and never gets any further than that.

This is the closest I've been with a linux distro having everything setup except games.

Printing is the last thing left and I would very much like some help.

Myth
03-04-2006, 11:40 AM
When I set up printing in Linux, I use cups, gimp-print (supplies all the drivers) for my epson stylus c43ux.

Is the printer usb?
If so, does it show up when you run the command 'lsusb'?

apparition
03-04-2006, 01:30 PM
yes I'm using cups too but it didn't have the drivers. once I installed the drivers then my printer showed up under local usb printer.

Everything seems to be okay but nothing happens.

Myth
03-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Have you used cups gui to setup the printer?

Open your browser, type in http://localhost:631 which will lead you to the gui to setup the printer.

You have to make sure cups is started first (in Gentoo this is started with the command /etc/init.d/cups start .. not sure about Ubuntu .. try it)

Graham L
03-04-2006, 03:34 PM
It could be that the jobs have been processed and are waiting in the queue. They will be waiting for the printer to be connected. The previous printer. :) Unless you removed the old printer from the printing system or did a change in CUPS, that will still be the default queue.

apparition
03-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Well I never set up the previous printer as it was out of ink when I installed Ubuntu. We actually brought the new printer because the old printer had increasingly expensive ink and the new printer is less than half the price on ink.

I will try checking cups through my browser, thanks.

I can't help thinking that the messahe under status "starting ghostscript" has something to do with it

Graham L
03-04-2006, 04:25 PM
The system produces a PostScript file from the input. That is sent to the printer (through Ghostscript if the printer hasn't got a PS interpreter). It's a very good system, because it's easier to write drivers which take PostScript (a stable standard) as input than to try to keep up with changing OPS interfaces.

Perhaps the problem is that you "managed to load" the Epson Linux drivers. Maybe it would have just worked if you had used the Printer Management page to "Add" a printer. ;)

apparition
03-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Perhaps the problem is that you "managed to load" the Epson Linux drivers. Maybe it would have just worked if you had used the Printer Management page to "Add" a printer.

Would that I could've. There was no driver so i downloaded one and used alien to convert the rpm to a deb. Then I followed the instruction to install the driver. Then I used the gui printer tool to add printer and there it was CX3700 detected.

Could ghostscript be not starting and if so how would I fix that?

There's no challenge left in windows so here I am with linux. My free Ubuntu 5.10 cds I ordered have just arrived from europe

Graham L
03-04-2006, 05:57 PM
I haven't really done much with CUPS except using it. :D It works for me.

Ghostscript is just another programme ... it will have been installed because CUPS uses it. Try typing gs in a command window. (It will want to use X Window for output). That should run it in interactive mode. "quit" or Ctrl/C in the command window will kill it.

gibler
03-04-2006, 06:05 PM
read linuxprinting (http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_CX3700)

There appears to be a gutenprint package for ubuntu.....

apparition
03-04-2006, 07:30 PM
I've started gs manually and now I see

Printing: Processing page 1...
and nothing more

I will try gutenprint too

apparition
04-04-2006, 12:03 PM
so I've installed gimp print now what?

Myth
04-04-2006, 12:12 PM
so I've installed gimp print now what?Go to the cups browser interface page (http://localhost:631) and set up the printer. Theoretically, the gimp-print drivers should show up in the drivers section. Make sure cups is started

apparition
04-04-2006, 06:09 PM
That seems to be doing great. It's further than it has been but stuck at 21%
If my printer didn't work work in windows I'd think there was something wrong with it.

Stylus-CX3700

Default Destination: Stylus-CX3700

Stylus-CX3700 EPSON PM-3700C - CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.7
Description: Stylus-CX3700
Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
"Printing page 1, 21%"
Device URI: ekplp:/var/ekpd/ekplp0

Print Test Page Stop Printer Reject Jobs Modify Printer Configure Printer Delete Printer Set As Default

Add Printer

ID Name User Size State Control
Stylus-CX3700-28 Test Page gerard 15k processing since
Tue Apr 4 18:01:37 2006 Hold Job Cancel Job

Show Completed Jobs

Copyright 1993-2005 by Easy Software Products, All Rights Reserved. The Common UNIX Printing System, CUPS, and the CUPS logo are the trademark property of Easy Software Products. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Graham L
04-04-2006, 06:15 PM
I suspect that that test page might be a very compliated PostScript file. It looks pretty, though. It will produce a very big printer file for a non-PS printer. I have had it come out OK on various HP inkjet printers without trouble, but it might be a bit big for the memory in the printer. Cancel that, and try printing a text page. (There's probably a way round memory shortage if that is the problem... but you want the printer to work). (I'm using a LJ-4M on CUPS at the moment, but I've put 36 MB of ram in it, so it handles PostScript with no nonsense).

apparition
05-04-2006, 04:07 PM
I found that when I used another driver from the cx3*** series and pointed it at usb_printer_#1 then my printer would start spitting out blank pages.

I have since found this
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_EPSON_CX3700_CX3800_CX4200_and_Others

CVS is greek to me. Can someone put these instructions into english for me please?

I can pull apart windows but I'm still only verging on advanced user in linux.

apparition
05-04-2006, 08:56 PM
I now have it printing

connection = USB Printer # 1

driver = Epson C64

Myth
05-04-2006, 10:49 PM
CVS is used quite a lot in Gentoo (and other Linux distros too I think).
Its basically just a repository where all users (developers/contributors) can have access to the source code, and can make additions, edits, whatever to a particular application/library/ whatever.

These additions are overseen by the main developers of said application, and tested by testers/contributors within the open source community. Issues and merits are reported on. If the application/library passes testing, it is released to the open source community (end users). If editing/further testing is required, the cycle starts over.

Thats my interpretation of CVS and how it fits in to the larger scheme

Congrats on getting the printer going BTW :thumbs: .. I know how irritating it can be when you know something should work, but for some reason its not (I had similar issue with CUPS, then had to get Windows machine to access printer attached to Linux machine. Got there in the end (needed a bit of editing in Samba)

apparition
06-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the info on CVS. Now I know why they call it dangerous to use and say things like "if you want to risk it"