PDA

View Full Version : help with old PC game please

Prisoner
02-04-2006, 05:35 PM
My kids have just unearthed Fire Fight - an old EA game. The game runs fine on our winXP computer, but it won't save at the last level they get to. They are getting annoyed at having to restart at level 1 everytime. Are there any ideas how to stop this? We have tried running it in win95 compatibility mode - it runs fine but still won't save. Its pouring with rain here and we need a fix. I hope I've come to the right place.
Thanks Jane

pctek
02-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Its not a compatibility problem or it wouldn't run. It may be where it is trying to save to by default.
Does it save at all or just one level that has a problem?
Where did you install to - exact drive and path.
Does the game want a default C: to install/save to?
What error if any do you get?

Prisoner
02-04-2006, 06:08 PM
There are no error messages. It doesn't ask where to install to. I can find no folders on the computer containing 'Fire Fight' at all. It seems to be running off the disk and transferring no files to the computer at all.

pctek
02-04-2006, 08:45 PM
There are no error messages. It doesn't ask where to install to. I can find no folders on the computer containing 'Fire Fight' at all. It seems to be running off the disk and transferring no files to the computer at all.
Hmm, how exciting. Is it running off a CD or a floppy? If floppy - unwrite protect it. If CD, you're doomed, you can't write to a CD.
(It won't be a CDRW)

Greven
02-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Try copying all the files off the CD to a folder on the hard drive & see if you can run it from there. Don't forget to turn off read only after you have copied the files

Greven
02-04-2006, 09:14 PM
It looks like it is supposed to be installed. browse through the CD & look for an installer.
You can get the 1.2 patch from http://robyrt.coolserver.net/f_fight.html - its a very small fansite, but its hard to find anything relating to Fire Fight

Sorry. I put you wrong there. It doesn't install any files. it is really strange.

Fire Fight does not install any files on your computer. What it does install are registry entries. (To access these, enter "regedit" from the Start->Run menu.) They should be hiding inside HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> chaos works -> Fire Fight. There you'll see each player profile's selected key bindings and mission progress (in hex code) for each difficulty level, among other things. If you can't save your game, check to see if you're logging on as the same user and that Fire Fight is allowed to make automatic registry changes.

I wonder how the patch works if all the files are on read only media?

bob_doe_nz
02-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I remember that game, I had a demo of that. I so wanted that game back then.

Prisoner
03-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks for your help. I've downloaded the patch so hopefully next time they try to play we'll have more luck. It is a really cool little game!
Cheers, :thumbs:
Jane